Windows 10 Installation Issues

I did the upgrade and really like it. I have no problems at all. I upgraded from W7 to 10. That being said, I did not wait for the automatic upgrade I scheduled and went to the windows site and downloaded the upgrade directly. this was one of the choices that was not easily seen but was there. I like the choice of having the fancy Windows 10 view ( called tablet mode) or keep using the same desktop basically as I had with windows 7. I can easily switch between the two.

I upgraded mine to Win 10 last week and it is running smoothly with no hiccups. My home network is behind a Cisco SA520W, so I don't worry about Malware or much else getting in. Win 10 recognized all of my software. I was using Win 7 Pro ever since it came out and never had a problem. It runs just as fast as before. Since I put in a SSD drive 3 months ago I no longer have to wait for boot up. Takes about 30 seconds from power on to desktop. I use Open office too and like it better than MS Office. Even though I get Office free from work, I still like Open Office better. I didn't like Edge so I stayed with Firefox for my browser.

I'm still running XP Pro, still works good for me. Maybe I'll upgrade one day, but maybe not.;) I do have a dual boot into Win7 if I need to run a 64bit program.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

All I can say is I don't like W10......probably rolling it back within a week.

Windows 10 by it's self seemed to work fine and it's nice and fast, but it's a mess on a network of 6 PC's in trying to getting everyone to share files and printers. I should of held off as it has become a nightmare. Bob

I recently did the upgrade from 8.1 to win10 without any issues. Then I read that win10 collects tonnes of data from the computer...all sorts. Some of that can be turned off, however some can't. Besides the privacy concerns I am just as concerned that when I am using my air card I don't want to paying for data uploads to microsoft.

I am having my techie son-in-law look into it for me. I may go back to 8 if I am not comfortable with what it is doing.

David

went to w10 about 2 weeks ago? it does run a little better than 8.1 but still does not run all the "legacy" prgs that I prefer. Has updated itself 3 times already. Yes there are many branches of Linux that run better, but I can't get this tab to let me install anything that isn't microsoft still working on it .....

I installed 10 a week ago. I am concerned with the privacy problems and with what microsoft will thrust on us later. They are going to make money off this turkey. We just haven't seen all of the how yet. It looks like they plan to sell access to our personal information, charge us every time we sneeze with anything useful beyond the operating system, and shove an endless stream of adds in our face. It looks like the bait and switch model that has been used in the technology sector for decades.

I decided to go ahead and see what the beast is like, even with the concerns. Support for 7 and 8 will go away at some point. It is supposed to be years, but there is no guarantee it will not be moved up. I'd rather not wait until the last minute to figure out what I will do. I have shut down all of the adds system wide and disabled most of the known phone home features, all without hurting performance. If I can wrest control of my computer away from microsoft, I may stay with W10. If not, then there is Linux. Linux has gotten much friendlier over the years.

I had no glitches with the upgrade, even leaving all my programs and data in place. That is far superior to earlier efforts by microsoft, where a clean install was the only way to get a stable system. It did take forever to do the install. It wasn't as long as going from W3.1 to W95, but it reminded me of the waiting. I told the install not to activate wifi during install in order to keep it from sharing my passwords willy-nilly. It took a few moments to set up my network after install, but was painless once the right screen was found. I had no problems with networked printers or file sharing. It is not noticeably faster than 8.1. The new edge browser is not better than Firefox, as I'd hoped. The start menu is an abomination. Unless I haven't found the right settings, it is not as good as 2000 or Xp. It is also worse than 8.1. Either have an easy to navigate hierarchy like 2000 or a tile system like 8.1.

The only serious problem I had was that my monitor developed a bluish tint to everything right after the upgrade. It took 2 days to figure out that the monitor itself had decided to get sick at just that moment. W10 works fine with a different monitor.

Made the move to 10 last week. Went very well, not a problem. Gave the option to modify the information gathering settings. Set them to where I am comfortable.

Back