1/6th scale 1890's 30ft navy steam cutter (live steam)

which guy are you John?
I am the guy in the green T shirt aft of the boiler, at the helm which can't be seen, it is side steering, the guy in front is Scott Nicol, marine engineer, the guy whose head you can see just ahead of me on the other side of the boat is Ted Middelton of San Juan Island Wa. collector of lots of nice steam stuff, both long since passed, Scott engineered the old British paddle steam tug Eppelton Hall across the Atlantic ocean, quite an epic voyage, quite hairy at times, a book was written about it. My wife in the red top. My kids are there somewhere as well as Ted's wife. That boat under steam made about 7 1/4 knots, after changing the engine to the Hicks gas engine it made a little more speed and could pass any and all other steamboats in the fleet, one in particular would have a couple of feet of flame coming out the stack attempting to keep up or pass me. We had a yearly meet in the Delta area of the San Juaquin River near the town of Isleton Ca. It pretty much fell apart due to old age attrition, most of the participants are passed away, although a handful still show up.

that's a bummer about the boat being let go.. but I understand.. they require a lot of upkeep, and the old saying about owning a boat is throwing money at the hole in the ocean.

that's a bummer about the boat being let go.. but I understand.. they require a lot of upkeep, and the old saying about owning a boat is throwing money at the hole in the ocean.
Letting it go was a part of growing older, and not worrying about others having to dispose of it. The boat required little or no maintenance, as it was kept on a trailer, covered with a tarp.

nice video!!! a little more progress,, with most of the lower hull work done and mountings established the inside was sanded, cleaned and painted,, did some steam bending to start forming the waterway molding that forms the edge of the fantail deck..

Attachments

• IMGP0006 (3).JPG
    IMGP0006 (3).JPG
    531.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMGP0008 (4).JPG
    IMGP0008 (4).JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 10
finally made the decision to glass the hull on the outside,, tinted the two resin coats to start laying down the white hull color,, felt almost like glassing a full sized boat.. gave "Slim" the job of watching the resin cure over the weekend!!!

Attachments

• IMGP0015 (2).JPG
    IMGP0015 (2).JPG
    476 KB · Views: 8
today was the framing for the main deck,, lots of small pieces, each one needed to be custom fitted,, knees and corners are hackmatack as per the plans while most of the rest is white pine,, a nice break from working with the white oak,, starting to show a lot more of the lines..

Attachments

• IMGP0020 (2).JPG
    IMGP0020 (2).JPG
    465.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMGP0021 (2).JPG
    IMGP0021 (2).JPG
    435.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMGP0022 (2).JPG
    IMGP0022 (2).JPG
    460 KB · Views: 21
Back