10 Inch Lathes**** Oldies But Goodies*** Need Your Opinions Asap

naa he was alright ... everyone is set in their ways ..don't be sorry ..I have a nice machine did my homework and if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have my dream.....prob would have a china lathe in a few weeks .. everything in life ( well my life) is the long way ..I don't mind it im used to it bro im one happy camper . Now I have a lathe that is going to suite me well . this is a dream machine . ya see the gear box o the puppy?? I am one happ camper. what more can I ask for?
heres a few pics after a clean up

DSCF1136.JPG DSCF1139.JPG

Yup, Enco with free shipping and a discount code makes for cheapest way oil and spindle oil in the US delivered to your door. Check out PM as John mentioned, you probably want to pick up some DTE 32 and DTE 68 also. Just off hand most lathes do fine with 32 for spindle, 68 for gear box and Vactra #2 for carriage and ways. I know there are exceptions to that rule, but that does pan out for a lot of lathes.

michael

Pl don't shoot the messenger but think ya have a typo ..one reasons why I had asked in such detail
anywhoos FYI if anyone interested this is what I found (so far) NOTE this NOT MY recommendation was borrowed from the PM thread . ill look into latter and get to bottom of it.
In short Southbend recommended grades for a reason. Yes over the they have come long way with stuff however things were designed and specified for a reason.

WAY OIL
Mobile Vactra #2
Manufacturer's #: 98458N
WAY OIL

SPINDLE - Type "A"
Mobile Velocite #10
Manufacturer's #: 98989N
Type - "A"

GEAR BOX - Type "B"
Mobile DTE 24 [ISO 32]
Manufacturer's #: 98735N
Type - "B"

EVERYTHING ELSE - Type "C"
Mobile DTE Heavy-Med [ISO 68]
Manufacturer's #: 98669N
Type - "C"

Since the Type A and Type B oils flow through wicks, I'm a little fussy on using the recommended oil. On Ebay, bluechipmachineshop sells an oil kit with 16 oz bottles so you don't have to buy a gallon of each. You should use very little A or B oils; not even a full squirt from the oilcan into my 10K after a busy day. I bought the kit and I would imagine the supply of A and B oils will last me for years.

I do use a lot of way oil to keep rust at bay, but at Enco with 20% off and free shipping it's not that expensive for the Vactra and a gallon is lasting me a long time. Some people use chain bar oil or even motor oil. The Type C is really just hydraulic fluid and I buy that at Wal-Mart or Tractor Supply pretty cheaply in big jugs.

Not shooting the messenger, its your lathe and you can certainly do as you choose. I think my recommendations pretty much are what you just stated except for the DTE light and Velocite. DTE light in the headstock, medium in gearbox and Vactra #2 gets the job done in most shops for most lathes built. If you want to use Velocite for headstock bearing that is fine, I bet in 30 years use you would not notice any more wear if you ran the DTE ISO 32 (light). Its kind of like do you think their is a big difference between 10-30 motor oil and 5-30?

Enjoy your lathe
michael

Not shooting the messenger, its your lathe and you can certainly do as you choose. I think my recommendations pretty much are what you just stated except for the DTE light and Velocite. DTE light in the headstock, medium in gearbox and Vactra #2 gets the job done in most shops for most lathes built. If you want to use Velocite for headstock bearing that is fine, I bet in 30 years use you would not notice any more wear if you ran the DTE ISO 32 (light). Its kind of like do you think their is a big difference between 10-30 motor oil and 5-30?

Enjoy your lathe
michael

thanks now Im not sure what u are saying bro ya lost me now ...lol.. or ya didn't realize .. u said pick up DTE32 in your original reply . ( scroll up and look) this sort of posting and following messages is fun aint it...... .. yea I concur the recommendations I copied were from the guy who sells the kit from in the link from PM ...

now I have a another Q I already have all of those oils less the ISO32 AKA DTE 24 .
Now are ya saying ditch the (spindle oil Velocite ) and replace it with the ISO 32 light ???? if so if im not mistaking that's Hydraulic oil aint it?
and btw im not pickin a fight but every weight oil in the means something there are some things that can substitute but depends on application . Dont know if were saying the same thing but I would never substitute 10w-30 in place of 5w-30 in an engine esp if vehicle was used in winter and 5w-30 was recommended . But that's an engine ill juice that all day on a chain gear or whatever to reduce some heat but mostly friction . So what im saying is all depends if its for cooling lubricating or both . another example SAE 30 with no suffix is non detergent you can put in lawn mower but in an engine that's supposed to use 10W-30 ...... it is not recommended for a reason . Just like you can use Straight 60 in same thing as 20/50 however depends on temperature. bar oil is straight 30 right ... the wood dont care or the blade right as long as ya keep er wet ...lol.. and for that matter the ISO 68 is what viscosity?
so yup if it SAE 20 than that's what it is no? u can use SAE 20 in its place No? Am I missing something?

I don't have a sb but I use sae20 on everything, spindles, ways, and tables, anything with an oil cup, it's non detergent who cares, hell I had a quart sae30 non detergent guess where it went.....spindle ways and tables

JMHO gear box and spindle should use mfg spec viscosities esp if your dealing with excessive heat/ brass spindle Bering design . and yea everything else just needs to keep er whet .. better wet than nuthin ...
since im in a fixen mode decided to stay late thur night and do an over haul in maint on our old 13 SB at work.... Friday I ordered up a gal of spindle oil and gear box oil in which ill be splitting with the co . Still have a slew of way oil and other than that ill pick up some SAE20 as needed for everything else

For the gears at the headstock I use lucas chain lube, everything gets real quiet when they get sprayed, good stuff

If you want to get that tackiness like way oil has to it, add a little STP to your favorite oil... Remember STP? You can still get it.

Back