10 Inch Lathes**** Oldies But Goodies*** Need Your Opinions Asap

I think you did good! Definitely worth the money with all of the extras you have there. Did see a little scoring on the ways in one of your pictures. You'll want to fix that later on as you get to know your lathe. Meantime, oil here down and start cutting iron as we call it down here in Texas!

I think you did good! Definitely worth the money with all of the extras you have there. Did see a little scoring on the ways in one of your pictures. You'll want to fix that later on as you get to know your lathe. Meantime, oil here down and start cutting iron as we call it down here in Texas!

Hey thanks went to bed 3 am .. got up at 8 am Did just that did a quick wipe down cleaned the lead and oiled er down . Had to hear her purring too..... Sounds nice.... The one oil spot I didn't get to is the motor pulley bearings kinda shot from yesterday didn't kneel to well. Now i think it says Oil weekly/ Monthly .. Since its not ez access like ideas what I can put there so I can shoot a few shots when I open Motor belt drive access door ? also if anyone knows the about how to grease the Motor shaft bearings give a heads up . I think the chart said 2xs a year . Maybe I can put grease fitting ? again love to hear what ya;ll think

Ok where u see the where on the way sure its not grease? lol Font side of V by carriage IMO didn't look much ..... Now i did notice wear stained on flat surface of way is that were you are referring to and how can I cleaner up?/ I know that's a latter project just curious what im in for thanks

Ohh and I do have a little wear on compound surface not concerned w/ that there was a fraction of a nail catch wear on Back side of ways up by head stock but it wasn't enough for me to let her go... im not gona build rocket ship parts so I fig shed fair just fine .What ya all think?

Now I do have a few Q's regarding lubing gona post on SB forum but if anyone knows here please do chime in. The maint chart tag has classifications of two oils for all the maintaince it shows 100 and 240 - #400) or something like that dos that mean visc range between ? or Please don't beat me up for forgetting Last 15 years I been greasing oiling whatever I can find in cabinet half the crap we gots it better whet than dry .
As far as at home for my new SB I have a bunch of old oils of all kinds however like to just purchase new any recommendations where at at what Grade?
In short cant I just get away with a light spindle oil and than use something else for rest > if so what type and grade Thanks again

ts that

Over at the Practical Machinist forum in the South Bend section they have a sticky topic that will tell you all you will ever need to know about the oils you need for your South Bend lathe.

Go easy on those shim adjustments until you are sure you need them. The spindle shaft rides on a film of oil and you can cause problems if you have things too tight.

At some point you will want to pick-up "A guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe" and felt kit for your specific lathe.

Now I do have a few Q's regarding lubing gona post on SB forum but if anyone knows here please do chime in. The maint chart tag has classifications of two oils for all the maintaince it shows 100 and 240 - #400) or something like that dos that mean visc range between ? or Please don't beat me up for forgetting Last 15 years I been greasing oiling whatever I can find in cabinet half the crap we gots it better whet than dry .
As far as at home for my new SB I have a bunch of old oils of all kinds however like to just purchase new any recommendations where at at what Grade?
In short cant I just get away with a light spindle oil and than use something else for rest > if so what type and grade Thanks again
Mobil Vactra #2 is good stuff for the ways. Enco sells it by the gallon. A seller on E-bay sells it by the quart.
John

Yup, Enco with free shipping and a discount code makes for cheapest way oil and spindle oil in the US delivered to your door. Check out PM as John mentioned, you probably want to pick up some DTE 32 and DTE 68 also. Just off hand most lathes do fine with 32 for spindle, 68 for gear box and Vactra #2 for carriage and ways. I know there are exceptions to that rule, but that does pan out for a lot of lathes.

michael

thanks Guys ill check it out next ... still have in question what is shown on lub chart it lists ONLY

100 Spindle , apron reservoir , motor sleeve Bering's

150-240 .. gear box and drive unit on 9" Models ONLY

240-500 pretty much everything else

Ohh besides grease motor shaft didn't look into that . From what I gather ya have to take apart a Bering sleeve collar to get in there.
has a sealed Bering. U must juts pack around the Bering sleeve or something. does that sound like the plan ?

Yup, Enco with free shipping and a discount code makes for cheapest way oil and spindle oil in the US delivered to your door. Check out PM as John mentioned, you probably want to pick up some DTE 32 and DTE 68 also. Just off hand most lathes do fine with 32 for spindle, 68 for gear box and Vactra #2 for carriage and ways. I know there are exceptions to that rule, but that does pan out for a lot of lathes.

michael

See different #'s is that same same as #240-500 and #150-240 south bend recommendations ?..lol

this is all ya need show any alternatives to ENCO or this is pretty much the best source.... done deal

thanks again .

Last edited:
Like I said Cooks has tons of machines and tooling , he's pretty fair on pricing and he will haggle some or had some sweetener to the pot of goodies. Talk on the phone nope but he will at the shop he's been doing it for about 40 years I think or close. I use to go there about two or three times a month. Could buy taper shank drills in any size for $5 , used tools mics Verniers all kinds , I don't know what he's charging now but I bet it's a fair deal .

Like I said Cooks has tons of machines and tooling , he's pretty fair on pricing and he will haggle some or had some sweetener to the pot of goodies. Talk on the phone nope but he will at the shop he's been doing it for about 40 years I think or close. I use to go there about two or three times a month. Could buy taper shank drills in any size for $5 , used tools mics Verniers all kinds , I don't know what he's charging now but I bet it's a fair deal .

all an all it was ok experience but that's only BC I knew what I was looking at and I spent 4 hours looking at what I was goin to buy... not good costumer service from the get go.... sorry I grew up in a business he's NOT what I would be in business. But that's me im about about the customer, that is what I was taught and JMHO that's what makes a good sale and a reputation and name repeat business referrals keeps the costumer coming back.... he gona sit on allot stuff , says it all goes well that's his gig not mine ...
that logan is NOT gona be put back together so that will sit until someone interested puts her together and checks it out same goes for allot of other stuff .

..... as u know Yure on your own there .. and ya better check everything ..not sure if he honors a bum deal tho I think he would , but who knows. .. anyways he treated me ok... however made a mistake and OVERCHARGED me in tax .. yup found out 10 min ago.... . I was like wayyyyyyyy over tired goin on 5 hours sleep we will see tomorrow if he honors the $85 mistake .. He was generous in some extras ,.. but that was BC he did not have one thing he promised when we made a deal .. zi did not tray to haggle him .. so anyways well see . I called em today to get price an availability on a few things .. again POOR costumer service .. I can make him EZ 100G's more a year if i worked for him... i asked prices about buying wholesale tooling he would have ZERO legwork.... for resell he did not seem at bit interested nor would give better prices if I spent B/T100-1000 a month .. so what I say is penny wise dollar foolish .. whatever

Well he must have changed I haven't been there or talked to him in 10 years or so. I don't know why he has changed or if he had a bad day or something , when I used to deal with him I felt he treated me right. Guess he may be gettin grumpy in his old age, sorry if you don't like the place or him , but I bet he has stuff you would love to own.

Back