10 Inch Lathes**** Oldies But Goodies*** Need Your Opinions Asap

That's definitely not a gap bed lathe.
The tag for threading is not a newer tag. Also, the tag for the catalog size and length is a older tag, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quick Update on the 9x42 it was sold by Original owner (long story but he told me it) You dont want me to retell entire story . But put it this way he was an ole timer machinist that was goin blind he that wanted it to go to right person spent 3 hours there explaining to him how to keeper oiled right...lol..... he didnt want to go when it was put in its new home . He even came back to make sure she was leveled properly . It has a replaced motor on it, has a 4 jaw chuck that never saw the machine in last 10 years as with its new owner . It does not have cross feed . It has original manual it is a 1958 model prob a 1/2 hp motor on it now and im waiting the serial #

so what type of head bearings does it have ? What size spindle opening is in this model?

Bottom line sounds like a gem but Should I move on to the Heavy 10” SB or not even bother with that either ?

1958 fooled me! The way he talks its in nice shape. That late of model may have bronze bushings.

1958 fooled me! The way he talks its in nice shape. That late of model may have bronze bushings.

yea I was afraid of that .. It was my heartbreak when I threw out the ole baby craftsman lathe I traded a 6 ton Hoist many years ago . Had to go to Brooklyn to pick her up spent a long time tryen to get her dialed in . Made lots of parts for that little lathe and she never got to fly again....it was too far gone to resurrect without a line bore . I knew the ole machinist too .He retired and passed had no family except the workers there .The Forman inherited his stuff and made trade. They told me he used to fiddle at night in an apartment. When it was late at night he used to use some sort of foot petal to turn the lathe . Were fieken nutz aren't we?

I was reading up on some SB 10x 24 heavy restores and came across some discussion of how long the bearings lasted and they mentioned that the main bearings held up pretty good but the Thrust bearings needed replacement . Which berings are they refereeing to ?Anyone know where I can find a links for illustrations im spent ?
thanks

Ohh Btw
never received the call back from the fella with the 9x42 he is running a marina pretty busy today
that 9x24 is clean and def the right price too. Last 12 hrs done someore research love to pick it up to turn it over but not worth $200-$300 of explaining to right buyer ... I know if I baught it and broke her up for parts prob double my moneys . But again not worth the space ( limited without gettn rid of beer fridge) and time to sell all the parts could be 6 months or more... after looking at SB 10x 24 restores last hour or so ...I did a few calculations of speed rpm and diams. Now I dunno don't sound that bad topped at 17-1800 Rpm. A new Chinese may run at 2000 so what ? Im sure if I wiat long enough ill find a nice package of an Ole good USA work horse , but doubt ill find one that's wont need some special work esp with all the fixins under $2500
Im gona start preparing for the lift for mon and If that SB 10x 24 heavy is tight I may get it

now I dunno why but I like this machine can some tell me why I shouldn't buy it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRl0z1p0Lg

What's your idea of really high rpm and why do you think you need it, my lathe has a sprung pulley and I have 4 speeds, 2 in back gear and 2 in direct drive, around 1000rpm max, and I still haven't needed to buy the new pulleys to get all my speeds back, I cut aluminum and delrin both as well as soft and hard steels, brass no problem with surface finish either. It will be nice to get back my 2000rpm speed someday but it hasn't been necessary yet

The best advice I can give you is this:
Take a deep breath and relax.

If you walk into the deal in the state you are in, you are fully at the owners mercy and you might buy an expensive door stop.
Try to talk yourself out of this deal. The lathe is ancient, obsolete, and has many limitations. It contains potential bombs in the bearings, lead screw, and ways. Missing parts are hard to come by and expensive.
Stop feeding yourself the line that a big 'ol piece of American cast iron is always better. There are very good reasons not to buy this lathe, start there and then let the lathe sell itself. If the lathe can not over come the good reasons to pass on it, then you should pass on it. The price seems pretty high considering the limitations to me.

yes, I am trying to rain on your parade :)
As someone said on this forum recently, "you are buying a tool, not a friend."

You keep worrying about spindle bearings and the thrust bearing on either one of the South Bend lathes.

As I said earlier, you have to go see these lathes in person. On the heavy 10, you have a lever down on the cabinet, pick up on that lever to disengage the belt off of the cone pulleys. Turn the spindle by quickly and then very slowly. There should be no resistance or grinding or the spindle trying to catch on something. Play with the spindle for a while. And if none of these things come up, it is fine and probably will be for another generation, provided it is taken care of. But on the other hand, if any of ailments come up, walk away from it and go on to the next lathe on your list.

I looked at a Heavy 10 about five months ago. That was the only thing nice about the whole lathe was the spindle. It was nice a smooth! The show stopper for me was the heavy wear in about the first 18" of the ways in front of the head stock. It wasn't a flame harden bed neither. The cross slide and compound was in great shape. So was the tailstock. The price was right, but I didn't want another "project" lathe. I have too many of them, don't need another. I passed on it. Someone else bought it and paid the lady double the price! Go figure...

The best advice I can give you is this:
Take a deep breath and relax.
it. The price seems pretty high considering the limitations to me.

yes, I am trying to rain on your parade :)
As someone said on this forum recently, "you are buying a tool, not a friend."
I don't see any limitations as of yet but that's Ok all good I can take it .. However my Bikes my Babe and my machines are my Buds .. we have relationships ya know :love:

Long day got off to late start but now im kicking back w/ a cold one . Shes home in her place . Yup"
South Bend 10" Heavy tool room Lathe

THANK YOU George THANK YOU 4gsr is it Ken right ? and the rest ...thanks for your input .'Bill of sale .. done deal here's a few pics to prove...lol......, .should of brought cash tho o well ........

few Bullet points.

Runs like a champ ... ways in good shape, headstock , motor pulleys gears feeds gear box, gears , gibs all remarkable , Ran dead nuts with collets .. i say **** less than .0005 . Motor is smoothe and all engagements , free spinning spindle back gear all check out good too. Spindle bearings were in great shape . with the fulcrum test she was .004 tir when I first checked her . Than I overhauled whole machine again than went to town checkin everything . Had to stand on top of my toolbox as they were unloading trucks with forklifts less than 10 " behind .. was 90 deg today .. fun day I must say I count see must of loss 5 pounds ... but it was all worth it. Kinda on your own over there ...took a short break ( 2 min) looked at other machines that were same size than came back to check out the rest ... asked permission to take apart spindle bearings , did a readjust got er less than .001 - ( .002) TIR with the fulcrum test ..... figured if I do right procedure I can dial her in better so I was satisfied in what I saw. Afater words noticed down below they had all extra shims for adjustments when I got home noiced the proper procedure under the ld of belt cover on the headstock...

checked out chucks mounting dismounting ect.... dug for a few fixins and it was late time to wrap it up .. Didsn't have much or any time to go shopping had to squabble round. Lucky I was able to get what was promised ... I wanted a few others things but had to pack it in... All in all . Im a happy camper I got what I went ther for and didn't leave disappointed , Kinda choked up too Ok I wont get sappy on ya .

The only thing I didn't score on was AXA tool holders got a few but not what id call big enough selection . He had a boat load of BXA,s and im not kidden had drums of 5c collets . that place was machinists flea market dream .. Ok GTG more latter
thanks again

DSCF1113.JPG DSCF1118.JPG DSCF1120.JPG DSCF1121.JPG DSCF1122.JPG DSCF1123.JPG DSCF1124.JPG DSCF1125.JPG

Back