10” x 30” lathe master electrical problem

Yes, we really don't know for sure. So you should remove all the wires from it (label them first) and check with your continuity meter. See if it matches that one or the one I posted. Then we can make some sense of it

Good, I can draw up a circuit diagram for you in a matter of minutes once we know the pinouts of your hardware

Here is what I have from the continuty check on the drum switch, keep in mind there was a jumper on 3 and 7.

5498702F-2D68-46A3-984F-28BA9CC3D0CB.jpeg

I re-drew the current schematic with the conductivity of the drum, I drew only 2 positions of the switch because I am not sure which direction they are.

2194ABD6-E1CD-4B65-9557-72D61AF9E0CD.jpeg

You will notice that white wire V1 stays in position 2, and changes on 1and 3. the blue wire W2Z2 changes between 5 and 7 and stays on 8. I took the push button switch out of the Ckt.

I'm going to redraw it here and study it for a bit- are you totally sure about the continuity of pins 9, 10, 11, and 12? You double checked?
That rotary switch is an odd one for sure
You'll notice there's a wire on pin 11 but nothing on 9, 10 or 12. I think that's a clue- it's going nowhere

Last edited:
yes, I did it a few times, I found the manufacture for the drum switch and they still make them out of china, but they do not make the one I have for this lathe, they LOP and Y with Delta not a rev, 0, and For.

I believe your mystery wire, from guard switch goes to pin 12 of the rotary switch. However, when the guard switch is installed, which contacts are closed when the guard is in place? You need a normally closed contact there for this to work.
And your power switch #1 needs to be a momentary push button, normally open
For the moment, add that wire, then flip the power switch on then off, the motor should run until you move the guard switch, then it should stop. But you may have to hold the guard switch closed depending on how the lathe operates it mechanically
You also would need to add a stop button, (normally closed) in series with the same wire you are adding
You follow all that?

Last edited:
Back