Those of us who are older and get easily distracted need things slowed way down. :D I still remember my first few attempts at threading on a manual lathe, about the 4th or 5th pass it sounded like...GRRRRRRAAAAAHHHHHHH...spindle stall. :disillusion:
When I have to thread right up to a shoulder (if I can't use a relief groove) I shut off my spindle power with about 30 thou of feed left to go. At 70 rpm the spindle will coast for .020 (+/- depending on the pitch) and I use a chuck key to turn the chuck for the last .010 inch of thread to snuggle right up to the shoulder. The thread comes out better than what I could do even at 20 rpm. I have dial indicators on my long & cross feeds.

The youngun looked at the old timer and said 4tpi, ok im thinking 200rpm what are you thinking.... old timer looked sternly at the youngun and said im thinking you gona need toilet paper ...... lots of it:encourage:

You haven't lived until you have worked in a oilfield machine shop where single pointing a 4 pitch tapered thread at about 170 RPM is common practice.

When I have to thread right up to a shoulder (if I can't use a relief groove) I shut off my spindle power with about 30 thou of feed left to go. At 70 rpm the spindle will coast for .020 (+/- depending on the pitch) and I use a chuck key to turn the chuck for the last .010 inch of thread to snuggle right up to the shoulder. The thread comes out better than what I could do even at 20 rpm. I have dial indicators on my long & cross feeds.

If I have to thread up to a shoulder and pull out without a relief. I turn the threading tool upside down and thread in reverse. As you kick in the half nuts, you plunge in your threading tool to depth. If your lucky, you may have a lathe that has the fast threading attachment that allows you to dial in your cross feed screw to a positive stop. Whats even sweeter than that is a lathe with air kick out on the half nuts and cross feed screw. That way you thread up to a shoulder, hit a limit switch and wham! The half nuts kick out of lead and the cross slide moves backwards pulling the threading tool out of the cut.

We getting way off topic here...

Ken

You haven't lived until you have worked in a oilfield machine shop where single pointing a 4 pitch tapered thread at about 170 RPM is common practice.

Probably a lot less pucker factor when the thread is 8"+ long?

Start a new thread over on the PM forum so we can talk about options, the lathe variable speed option for example.

Can't we talk about it here, I like my thread hahaha, plus when the header it's going to help others like me looking at grizzly steer towards Matt at PM. Charles I gotta say you've been a ton of help bro I feel like I got a new buddy in Washington and who woulda thought you metal detect to!!! Lol

I just want to say USMC and I have spent a few hours on the phone discussing machines, he's a great new addition to the forum. And Jim thanks for helping him out when it comes to knee mills I know squat, I'm pretty sure you and Alloy can expertly advise him on that.

I believe it's been a little more than a few buddy.. I kinda felt like I had a new long distance relationship.. I'm sure you were thinking I wish this fella would let me sleep!! Hahahahahaha

Can't we talk about it here, I like my thread hahaha, plus when the header it's going to help others like me looking at grizzly steer towards Matt at PM. Charles I gotta say you've been a ton of help bro I feel like I got a new buddy in Washington and who woulda thought you metal detect to!!! Lol

I know that's crazy. But seriously if you want to talk PM lathes or mills that's best done in the PM forum where the PM guys hang out. ;)

I believe it's been a little more than a few buddy.. I kinda felt like I had a new long distance relationship.. I'm sure you were thinking I wish this fella would let me sleep!! Hahahahahaha

Ahahaha yeah there have been some marathon lathe/detecting discussions. I'm almost motivated to go out and dig clad....NOT! lol

Back