Mike isn't the minimum 90 rpm speed a bit high for threading on the manual machine? I see the lowest speed with the variable option is 50 rpms. Also will a keyless chuck fit all the way into the tailstock with the quill fully retracted e.g. so you still have the full 4 inches of travel?

Charles, depending on what you are threading but for the most part 90RPM is a bit high for manual threading. I have done it on occassion and it works but again, depending on what material and orientation of the threads being cut.

I purchased a Jacobs keyless chuck and I had to cut and grind just a bit off of the backside of the arbor so I still have full travel of the tailstock. My Albrect 3/8" that I had didn't require any modification at all to have full stroke at the tailstock.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, on my G4003G the dang quill sticks out 1.375 inches with the drill chuck installed, if you retract it at all the drill chuck pops out. (face palm) Also on my G4003G 70 rpm is the slowest speed, I wish it were 30 rpm for threading.

Charles, depending on what you are threading but for the most part 90RPM is a bit high for manual threading. I have done it on occassion and it works but again, depending on what material and orientation of the threads being cut.

I purchased a Jacobs keyless chuck and I had to cut and grind just a bit off of the backside of the arbor so I still have full travel of the tailstock. My Albrect 3/8" that I had didn't require any modification at all to have full stroke at the tailstock.

Mike.

On my PM1340Gt, the slowest speed is 90RPM but that is @ 60Hz. If you get the 3-phase version and then slow it down when needed, you can slow it down to stopped if you want. I will turn it down to approx. 45Hz in slow speed so probably in the 40-50 RPM range, which works out great for threading.

Mike.

I can slow my Grizzly all the way to stopped also but I can never get anything done at that speed.

I like my 14x40 from there. For the most part I've has good customer service from there. Not always happy with the tooling tho.

I've started taking my money to Enco & have been very happy with them. The machines in the cannot aren't what you get when it shows up on the truck. It has always been a better looking machine tho. You could probably send a email to their tech department & get a real picture.

When Enco offers the 20% off & free shipping which they do about every couple months & sometimes more often it makes it hard to pass up a machine you want. I spent about $2500 less on my mill I'd just bought from them on Cyber Monday. It was on sale, they gave me another 25% off, & it has a few miner repairs from shipping damage that they offered a fair amount of refund to pay me to do. Worked out to about $50 an hour for what I expect to invest in the repairs.

I took so much time trying to figure out how to slow down my G4003G that I got used to threading at 70 rpm and now I actually like it.

Those of us who are older and get easily distracted need things slowed way down. :D I still remember my first few attempts at threading on a manual lathe, about the 4th or 5th pass it sounded like...GRRRRRRAAAAAHHHHHHH...spindle stall. :disillusion:

I just want to say USMC and I have spent a few hours on the phone discussing machines, he's a great new addition to the forum. And Jim thanks for helping him out when it comes to knee mills I know squat, I'm pretty sure you and Alloy can expertly advise him on that.

The youngun looked at the old timer and said 4tpi, ok im thinking 200rpm what are you thinking.... old timer looked sternly at the youngun and said im thinking you gona need toilet paper ...... lots of it:encourage:

Back