1236 Questions

Posting a picture of the stranded flex cord and twist lock plug for the air compressor. The compressor is a couple feet to the left of the outlet. I don't care for the way the plug points away from the air compressor so the cord has to double back to the left. The plug is adjustable but in only 1 of 4 positions, in 90 degree increments. Of course I originally installed it so the plug would point towards the air compressor, but what happens is the flex cord pushes against the plug and causes it to unlock so I had change it to the way it is now. When I see stuff like this, I wonder what they were thinking, ha.

A perfect example of how annoying electrical can be, and yet anything plumbing related surpasses electrical 10x in the annoying category. :bang head:

Dumb question but I just need to make sure. The PM website says the distance between centers is 36" which is the longest piece it will accept between the chuck and the tailstock. If I needed to machine a 1" OD x 4' steel shaft, and I didn't have enough room to feed it into the spindle bore from the left, I could still remove the tailstock and feed it from the right. Correct?

You could do that. FYI: 'Between Centers' typically is measured from a center mounted in the spindle (no chuck mounted) to a center mounted in the tailstock. A chuck will eat up some of that distance.

What Bill said plus check the actual carriage travel vs distance between centers because some lathes are several inches less. The carriage travel on my 12x36 lathe is 30.5 inches.

Good info... thanks. I expected the specs would be somewhat misleading but that still boils down to, I will probably never need to feed anything from the left side of the machine. And on the rare occasion I did have to, I could just remove the tailstock and feed it from the right.

Curious how difficult is it to remove the tailstock and roughly how long would it take?

Back