12L14 about to become even more Expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff.64

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just came across this:

Sounds more like they're just moving production to a location with cheaper labor and (perhaps) more lenient emissions requirements.
Missing from the article was any indication of what percentage of US consumption of leaded steel was produced in NY. It might already only account for some very small fraction of total sales.

I guess what struck me was the statement in the article that they are the only producers of leaded steel in North America.

I would think leaded steels are already on their way out with improvements in machinability in other grades, and with so much screw machine manufacturing moving offshore, there probably was not much demand for that material any longer.

From the article:

"Fitzgibbon, who has worked at Republic Steel for 27 years, said it's been a "miserable, terrible company to work for" ever since and plagued with environmental and operational problems."

Somehow I tend to believe this.

Lead programs are always problematic for producers. It's expensive to protect your workers and not drive them to illness, disease, and early death. It's a lot cheaper to do it in Bangladesh, where they don't have to be pestered with the burdens of social responsibility. Pure capitalism is awesome like that.

My take; the statement may be saying that THEY are ending leaded steel production in the USA, not that the product will not be produced by OTHERS in the USA. Semantics ---

The environmentalists likely think they are accomplishing great things here, ending production involving a hazardous material.. But the reality is that they are once again just pushing it into a different place, with less oversight, less restrictions, less visibility of it, where it can really wreak havoc on the less protected population and environment.

The environmentalists likely think they are accomplishing great things here, ending production involving a hazardous material.. But the reality is that they are once again just pushing it into a different place, with less oversight, less restrictions, less visibility of it, where it can really wreak havoc on the less protected population and environment.

In other words, we have exported our pollution and our exploitation of labor to poorer countries. For our benefit.

In other words, we have exported our pollution and our exploitation of labor to poorer countries. For our benefit.
As can be seen the environmental impact is prevalent in the area. See photo of discoloration of the home in this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back