12L14 about to become even more Expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even my basement has been registering 90% the last week or 2.
I have a dehumidifier in my basement where my shop is, sometimes it gets up to 55-60% if we get a heavy rain, but usually I am able to keep it at 50 or below.

I found this.

"The main difference between 1215 steel and 12L14 steel is that 1215 steel contains less carbon than 12L14 steel. This gives 1215 steel better machinability properties than 12L14 steel but makes it more susceptible to corrosion."

I know in my shop, 1215 stored right next to 12L14 shows some corrosion while the 12L14 is still bright. I also notice that it corroded in the shape of fingerprints where it was handled. I think it would all depend on the application.

Last edited:
I found this.

"The main difference between 1215 steel and 12L14 steel is that 1215 steel contains less carbon than 12L14 steel. This gives 1215 steel better machinability properties than 12L14 steel but makes it more susceptible to corrosion."

I know in my shop, 1215 stored right next to 12L14 shows some corrosion while the 12L14 is still bright. I also notice that it corroded in the shape of fingerprints where it was handled. I think it would all depend on the application.
This research paper says the opposite.

There are so many variables when it comes to corrosion that it is hard to compare. There are research papers that show cold rolled corrodes faster than hot rolled, so that could even be the difference between one showing corrosion, and one not. For most of us, we are concerned with atmospheric corrosion of off the shelf steels, and there is not that much difference within the same group of steels that I would put that as a significant consideration. Any carbon steel component should be protected from the environment, so I would be more interested in if one steel is better with my preferred surface coating vs another. I believe carbon steels won’t corrode when the relative humidity is less than about 70%, I’m not certain of the number, but if one bar was stored at a higher humidity level for a period of time than another, you could see some differences as well.

Finger prints on some people are very acidic and known to cause corrosion problems, just touching bare steel will cause it to corrode right away, but on another day, those same fingers may not be as acidic, so there could be a difference. Maybe it depends on your diet as well? It could be as simple as one day the humidity was high, and on another day it wasn’t. I honestly don’t know, my skin is not acidic enough to cause corrosion problems, so only know what I have read on this issue.

As can be seen the environmental impact is prevalent in the area. See photo of discoloration of the home in this article.

That place was a dump when I used to load out of there years ago.
Place was falling down around their necks just like the WCC plant at Follansbee, WV as were many of the other of the mills in Pittsburg and around that area up and down the river.

The only way you can get a profit-driven corp to invest even a little bit into reducing damage to our limited air, water, and soil is to hold a gun against their heads and write laws stating corporations shall...

Only a psychopath refuses to do the right thing before finding out what's in it for him first.

I found this.

I have reached a point where I wear Nitrile Gloves when working in the garage to A) keep the chemicals, Oils and solvents off my hands and B) keep my sweat off the materials and equipment. I find the gloves protect me and my investments.

The only way you can get a profit-driven corp to invest even a little bit into reducing damage to our limited air, water, and soil is to hold a gun against their heads and write laws stating corporations shall...

Only a psychopath refuses to do the right thing before finding out what's in it for him first.
Same goes for top heavy government agency’s.

Writing laws is fine, but you also need a balance and to know when to stop writing them. Taking a couple off the books would be nice.

How many laws are in your states motor vehicle code?

How many still apply?

How many are enforced?

This research paper says the opposite.

There are so many variables when it comes to corrosion that it is hard to compare. There are research papers that show cold rolled corrodes faster than hot rolled, so that could even be the difference between one showing corrosion, and one not. For most of us, we are concerned with atmospheric corrosion of off the shelf steels, and there is not that much difference within the same group of steels that I would put that as a significant consideration. Any carbon steel component should be protected from the environment, so I would be more interested in if one steel is better with my preferred surface coating vs another. I believe carbon steels won’t corrode when the relative humidity is less than about 70%, I’m not certain of the number, but if one bar was stored at a higher humidity level for a period of time than another, you could see some differences as well.

Finger prints on some people are very acidic and known to cause corrosion problems, just touching bare steel will cause it to corrode right away, but on another day, those same fingers may not be as acidic, so there could be a difference. Maybe it depends on your diet as well? It could be as simple as one day the humidity was high, and on another day it wasn’t. I honestly don’t know, my skin is not acidic enough to cause corrosion problems, so only know what I have read on this issue.
If you really want to delve into the corrosion issues of materials Uhlig is kinda the definitive source material.

We should do business in such a manner as to be good stewards of the things we have, we should leave things as good or better than we found them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back