1952-53 10

The base is now complete!!
To finish off the base the doors were finished with 3 coats of paint front and back. All the hardware was refinished, except the bolts that hold the side doors... i replace them since the original bolts had been chewed up pretty badly! The star knob on the front door was also refinished. I used my Dremel and sanded it smooth removing all the old grinder and casting marks. It also got a brushed finish to match the other hardware and handles.

I know i kinda glazed over this alittle ... if there are any questions please let me know... my processes usually remain the same as far a refinishing ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst part about this past weekend was that it took me 3 days to strip the Bed and Ways!! :-\
I know there are probably easier ways to strip the bed but i am just working with the tools i have!
Typical to evey Bed out there it was covered in grease, oil , chips, and 4 coats of old paint! I stripped the entire thing using the CitrusStrip, which usually i can do in 1 or 2 coats but this thing took 3-4 in some spots! I still have to go back over the entire thing and scrub it with metal cleaner then the plan is to add some filler and smooth the casting and then paint!

I dont know if i ever want to do this part again! But it will be worth it in the end!

So this past weekend i started to paint the bed so as the paint dried i got some other things accomplished!
One of those things was the Chip Tray.... Originally i had stripped all the paint and grease on both sides and was going to paint it, then i decided i didnt want to paint the top side of the tray but i couldnt figure out how to remove the E-Coat (black finish)! So i ended up having the entire Chip Tray sandblasted... so much for the time stripping all the paint

I think it turned out really well! After having it sandblasted i sanded the profile off the surfaces on the top because i didnt want the texture left from the blasting... then i took one of those grinding discs meant to remove paint and rust (red fiber disc) and went over the top and sides to give the tray a more polished look. I figure that if i ever do get any small rust spots it will be easy to just hit it with the disc again. my plan is to spray the bare metal with a "top saver" to prevent rust... same as i do with all my tools in the shop that have cast iron tops.

The fourth pic is the final results... i couldnt resist mocking it up to see what it will look like! i still need to finish painting the bed to get it all bolted together.

As the paint dried on the bed and the chip tray i tore into the QCGB. attached are the pictures of what it looked like before i started....
i will follow this post with the results of the cleaning!

here are the results of cleaning the gear box...
i removed all the gears, stripped the paint, and cleaned the casting preparing it for paint. you may notice the JB Weld where the rivets hold the brass plate on... i managed to remove 3 of the 4 rivets but the 4th one broke off and it is impossible to drill out! so i am just going to move the plate down slightly and redrill the holes...

The last picture shows all the gear box parts ready for reasembly or ready for paint.

Re: 1952-53 10" Tool Room Restoration

alot of elbow grease makes the parts shine!! :)
all the shafts are good and tight, there really isnt any sign of significant wear... i dont see a need to refurb or adjust them at this point! the good news is when i purchased the lathe and brought it home... it was full of oil! i know alot of times you find lathes that have been dry for a while or never oiled. this one had oil dripping out as i removed parts, so i know that it was well lubed so there is no scoring or anything like that! yay!

i have looked into replacing all the bearings even the needle bearings in the tumblers.... just because i have everything apart and it would be easier to do now, plus i like new shiny parts (less i have to clean) ! But after cleaning everything up i dont think i am going to at this moment. i think i have found a source for all the bearings i may need if i decide to replace them ;)

One thing i wish i had was a shopping list for all the QCGB Felts and Oils wicks to rebuild mine... i have found alot of posts on the web and forums discussing it but there is no real agreement on what you need!
I typically order from McMaster so part numbers would be great!
i Know i need:
F1 felt 1/8" thick (keyways)
What size should i use for the round wicks? F1 1/8" round?
some say F10 for the keyways?

any help would be appreciated! thanks!

yeah i guess i will just order a bunch of felts and cut to fit! probably the best approach for me!
i would rather do that than clean the originals anyways... some were missing anyways ;)

I have been out of town for work so progress has slowed down the past week... but i finally got the bed painted!!
I started out stripping and cleaning the entire bed down to bare metal. then a coat of filler to smooth out the casting. 3 coats of iron ore gray paint on the outside and a slightly lighter color between the ways.
in the pics its hard to see the contrast so i have attached an image that shows the iron ore gray on the right and the custom color i made on the left as a reference.

For the lighter color i purchased a can of the Rustoleum "aluminum " color paint and mixed it with the Iron Ore Gray i used on the entire lathe. The result is a lighter color and also adds a slight metallic appearance... its hard to see in the photos but the color looks really good! i will try to get better images later!

QCGB COMPLETED! FOR NOW ;)
I managed to finish up the QCGB this past weekend. It took me about 4 hours to get everything reinstalled. that was taking my time and making new felts for all the oil passages and wicks. After driving in the last pin i stood up from my bench and i was finished!!! OH WAIT! i forgot to put the thread screw bearing back in !! After a few curse words i managed to get the christmas tree gears off the shaft far enough to press the bearing back in and then reinstall the gears without having to take the entire thing appart again... so make it 4.5 hrs!

anyways, i got the gear box finished and hung back on the bed and everything turns as it should.I did manage to scar up the paint with the tumbler already!! i am not sure if i am going to leave it like that of repaint it and cover it with something (plastic film/metal)? I am going to order a new brass plate from JKull to replace the old one. and i have to get new oilers for the top of GB. Other than that everything runs smooth and quiet!! definitely functions better now than it did when i bought the lathe! The tumblers slide across the shaft with no effort whats so ever!! Enjoy!

Back