1952-53 10

Here are a few pics of the overall lathe progress so far.. .. Also attached is a better image of the lighter "metallic" gray color i created for between the bed ways (i posted earlier).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to JKull!!!
Last night i mounted the new brass plate on my QCGB. I ordered 3 new plates (gearbox, lube chart and bearing adjustment chart) from JKull and they great! i cant wait to get the other 2 mounted but i have to finish restoring the headstock first. These plates are the icing on the cake
thanks agian JKull!!! great products!!!

Re: 1952-53 10" Tool Room Restoration

Really great job!!!

Beautiful job of restoring. Who is JKull that you got your plates from. I would like to have new plates for my single tumbler 13.
Good job restoring and recounting.

Pat

thanks for the comments everyone!!

HSS: Jim's email address is: jimkull@consolidated.net

the link that Nelson posted is a restoration... i purchased new plates from him (just an FYI)...

I havent been able to get much work done on my lathe lately because of the weather and the holidays... but i should have some updates soon!!

Here are a few pics of the headstock before and during the tear down. i followed the tear down procedure and had no issuse. currently the parts are all stripped to bare metal and ready to be repainted but i dont have any photos of them yet... as soon as i get them i will post the progress!

here is an update of the progress i have made on the headstock.... i forgot to take a pic of the casting after it was stripped and before i painted it! but you can see the before and after in the pics below.

The headstock casting was broken down, cleaned and stripped and then painted.

I purchased new git cups and capillary oilers from Ted so those will be installed when i get the spindle finished.

I also had to make a new brass tube of the oil passage, the original one was pressed down in the hole and i couldnt get it out without destroying it... so i just whipped up a new one.

i also finished up the Reverse Gear Assembly....
For the Headstock Assembly i tried the much talked about carb cleaner method for the first time and i love it! I got a 5 gallon bucket full of carb cleaner and just drop the parts in and 1-2 days later presto clean parts! Much better than degreasing, stripping the paint, scrubing and repainting!

the pics below show the before and after of the entire assembly. i also replaced the wicks in the gears before reassembly.

here are the headstock covers.... i used the same carb cleaner method to strip them down. the only other thing i did to them was to wipe them down with a scouring pad and mineral spirits. that carb cleaner does a really good job!

also you will notice i got a replacement bull gear cover from Ted to replace my broken one.

now i just need to get them painted!

Back