1st,& 2nd knurl

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was playing with a 1" unknown steel bar using the diamond tool I found in the drawer that I forgot I had. It faced well, and I did 2 cuts in the .03/.04 range I didn't zero anything just playing. I measured, and had .0872, and then busted out the new knurling tool. First one was real bad, my center line wasn't....With a little more care on setting center line it came out better. I also found that tight is subjective. I tried to get a better bite on the 2nd one, and the lathe would not rotate. Backed it off went off/on tightening it each one, and got the second pass results. Watch out Will, I'm coming for ya....Yeah right :laughing:
The phone ap said .864 to start, I checked on it after, so I don't know.

diameter is important on knurling, the knurl will not track properly on just any diameter, for fractional diameters, diametral pitch knurls work best, for odd diameters, circular pitch knurls seem to work better.

Thank you, that's important to know.

Mike, there are a few things that might help.
  • Try to always chamfer the work piece so the knurls climb on smoothly.
  • As benmychree said, there is a difference between dimetral pitch and circular pitch knurls. In the former case, your work needs to be some nominal diameter in 32nds of an inch or they can mistrack more easily. For CP knurls, you don't need to turn the work to a specific diameter; just slowly increase pressure the knurls will track.
  • In order to improve knurl life, try not to go beyond a 90% pattern. There should be a trace of a dimple on each peak. Most knurls are too sharp to handle at 100% and we would file it in that case so just easier not to go too far.
  • Knurling is a high pressure operation when knurling steels. Sulfur-bearing oils work better for this. For aluminum, WD-40 is okay but regular cutting oil or Relton A-9 works better.
  • Slow down the lathe. Knurling is not a high speed operation.
Will doesn't need to worry yet but someday he will!

Wanna know one of my secrets?

I bet you do. :D

Ok, not much of a secret but for axial feeding I use convex wheels. They perform so much better than beveled wheels. Cobalt convex wheels from Accu-Trak to be exact. I like Accu-Trak knurling wheels so much they're all I'll ever use now.

Will doesn't need to worry yet but someday he will!

Okay, maybe that someday might be a bit further into the future than I had visualized at first!

Come on, Mike, hurry up and practice ...

Thank you gentlemen, I haven't even gotten close to axial traversing yet.

Practice takes a lot of stock, and turning(erasing) :)

Brah, let me tell you, it takes all of us time and practice. Except Will maybe. Between you and me, I think the guy is a mutant that has turned knurling into an art form.

Back