1st,& 2nd knurl

Practice takes a lot of stock, and turning(erasing) :)

Just don't practice on titanium or stainless like I did! ;)

Aluminum is the best (cheapest) to practice on. Heck I even experimented on delrin, mainly cause I was curious. I didn't think form knurling could be done on delrin but it came out a lot better than I expected. I ran it bone dry too.

Img_2900.jpgImg_2915.jpgImg_2877.jpg

All of my stock has to come from online, I do have some on hand, just need to restock. They are mostly 6-12" lengths, 1" down to 1/2" I think

Gotta pic coming Mike . I can't post it .................................but you can ! :grin:

Practice material, bolt shoulders from the die?

6061 Aluminum seems to 'gall' more so than 7075. At least that has been my experience doing up ~1" DIA pieces.
When I picked up some 7075 I was pleasantly surprised by how much better the end results were.
Using lots of WD40, it's amazing the amount of swarf that comes off the wheels when doing copper/brass/aluminum.
Haven't ever tried titanium, probably above the capacity of my home-brewed knurler...

7075 is a harder alloy I would assume.

Will- Where do you get those knurl wheels from? I can't seem to find them and the one I see are crazy expensive.
Robert

Accu-Trak to be exact. I like Accu-Trak knurling wheels so much they're all I'll ever use now.
Quoted from above.
It resembles looking at insert cutter selections

I just realized you can order direct from their site! Thanks
But can you tell me what pitch knurl this is:
1581816733645.png
That is stunning.
Robert

These are forming knurls too right?

Back