2 X 48 Belt Grinder (again)

Are you SURE that you didn't accidentally pick up a piece of balsa wood that was painted black for another project? LOL :)

Nice sander/grinder that you built, works well and looks good. Very professionally built.

Have you figured out how many actual dollars you have invested?

Nice to see if finished, But you now have to be carefull what you feed it if it eats stuff that fast, or did you speed up the vid on it.

Wow! Looks like you built yourself a real work horse. Nice work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys I am really sorry about this...Apparently someone DID put a piece of balsa wood in with my steel stock! I have no idea how this could have happened but I will be calling HR on Monday to see about firing the stockroom manager. You all know how that goes.
So I guess I will have to post some more with actual steel.

26776770902_5009c55f7d_h.jpg

About cost- It's hard to say because a lot of the components, like bearings, some stock and all the hardware I already owned. I can tell you I got the motor for $70 + shipping on eBay and I spent a total of $102 for the pulley stock and the plate. Also, all the non-aluminum is stainless which obviously raises the cost and you might not chose to do that. I figure if I am spending this much time and effort on something it is worth the cost to use the best materials. Hopefully, this will outlive me and get used for a long time.

Robert

Edit: I was told if they fire the Stockroom manager I would have to take over his functions....
R

Attachments

• 26776770902_5009c55f7d_h.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Video:

Not Balsa wood
This does eat steel pretty fast with a coarse belt. Much faster than the video with a 120 grit belt.

It really needs a dust guard on the top pulley since it tends to launch particles at high speed right in your face!
I will post a completion pic after that!

Robert

Ok that is looking real nice, and looks like it grinds nice and clean

Thanks KVT. Unfortunately I could not take your suggestion about moving the fence to the right because of the size of the plate I bought for the table. If I had moved the fence over I would not have been able to get to 45 deg right and still use the clamp on the table edge. So version 2.0 needs a 7 x 10" table.
I have found one monor issue that maybe someone can help me with. When the belt is at speed I can easily align the tracking to be perfectly centered on the platten. When I turn the grinder off and the machine slows the belt move over to the right slightly. Only 1-2 mm but it could contact the table cutout. Anyone have any insight as to why tracking would change with speed?
Robert

When running the drag on the belt pulls it down thus the belt moves over, put an indicator on the rod, close to the top roller as possible. Watch when you start it up, when it is running and when it shuts down, you will see a bit of movement. Also look for a little bit of twist in the top rail when you fire it up. That is all I can think of right now. but it is good looking, ANd the dust coming of the top, I thought that was why you were a face shield . a 2 roller I think kicks a bit more dust back at you than a longer 3 roller, as at each bend it will release a little more of the held trash. Also the vac on it should also help. Just my thoughts.

Back