2013 POTD Thread Archive

Another tailstock DRO

A single screw pivot under the read-head, and slots in the scale end-mount and the read-head mount allow alignment parallel to the ram.

JETLatheTailstockDRO.jpg

Ken

JETLatheTailstockDRO.jpg

Dgehricke- this is a thunderclap to me!!! Holy crap I'm in love!

I mean, I would have always wanted a SOuth Bend, or Atlas, or Logan shaper.

But THIS is so small and cool, and would serve the same purpose...

And I think it would be so easily adaptable to a motor anyway! WOWWWW

Bernie

Was on Craigslist last night and found this neat little Bench top metal hand shaper, then I spent my whole morning driving up to Tarpon Springs to purchase it hers a few photos for your viewing pleasure.It was very cheap a total give away.

Made a spanner wench for my Jones & Shipmen surface grinder. Still have some more to do to it.

Paul

I made the other wrench and two brass nut for the wheel cover it only had one. Still need to drill the handles so I can hang them by the grinder.

Paul

Wrench 1.JPG Wrench 2.JPG Brass Nuts.JPG

Is there a nameplate on it anywhere??

Bernie

Was on Craigslist last night and found this neat little Bench top metal hand shaper, then I spent my whole morning driving up to Tarpon Springs to purchase it hers a few photos for your viewing pleasure.It was very cheap a total give away.

KMoffett
I would like to steal that idea for my tailstock! Thanks for posting!

Today I finished off fixing the mill with a new Z feed handel. Added a bearing and a disk that I will later mark as a guage. The disk sits with orings on the top and bottom so I can turn it independently. Made a hub by turning down a chunk of steel.
DSCF6817.JPG

Once it was the right shape I drilled out and taped for 1/2" ACME threads (so it will thread down on the feed rod and locked into place with a set screw), then 4 hole slots for the handle arms to go in about an inch.

DSCF6818.JPG

Cut some 1" and 1/2" rod to make the handle. Drilled out the 1" and welded the 1/2" into it

DSCF6819.JPG

Once the bits were cit I welded up the arms, turned them a bit and them welded them into the hub. Removed the treads from the narrow hub section and put a set screw in it

DSCF6820.JPG

Put it on the mill and ajusted everything to check it. Disc moves with the feed and can be turned independently as well :) Will have to figure out the best way to scribe markings on the dial disk using the indexing head. Maybe I can clamp a lathe tool on the mill face and use the Y feed (or X) to scratch the markings

DSCF6821.JPG

DSCF6821.JPG DSCF6817.JPG DSCF6818.JPG DSCF6819.JPG DSCF6820.JPG

Great Job Stern!

And cool idea, with the four arms

Bernie

I am working on a chuck backplate for my Heavy Ten, to go with this great six inch, three jaw chuck with two-piece-jaws I found on EBay... :)

I'm surprised to see the boss on my spindle to be so much bigger than 2.25 inches? I measure 2.262 inches?

Bernie

huhy7e2u.jpg

huhy7e2u.jpg

huhy7e2u.jpg

The project for today was a motor pulley for my 14 1/2" south bend. I'd like to say that I whipped it right out....but I'm not that fast. I'm not a job shop, so I have to grind my own form tools. Spent most of the day working on it and still not done.

DSC04531.JPG DSC04532.JPG DSC04533.JPG DSC04535.JPG

Back