2013 POTD Thread Archive

It's time to fine-tune the hubs I made the other day so I decided to make a fixture to speed-up the process. Here's a piece of 1045 with a taper on it to hold the hubs in the lathe for final dimensioning after they've been heat treated. Only on rare occasions do I bring out the tool post grinder but today, I decided to do a pre-test to see if it would work on a taper. It's got some lines but nothing terrible. I suspect it won't happen once the material is a little harder. Raw metal doesn't grind too well.

Anyhow, the fixture has a few more features to be done such as a threaded area to hold the locking collars. I'll mount all the hub pieces on the same fixture and clean-up everything in one shot. Here, I was just doing a little clean-up of the shoulders. The taper is 2 thou oversized which I'll re-grind after part is heat treated.

TaperedShaft-Jig.JPG

Spent sunday in the shop, made some shims for a south bend lathe for a member. Then I finished up a wood working lathe hollowing chisel that I had an order for. These chisels are very time consuming as they are all hand work except for the pocket that holds the cutter.

Was on Craigslist last night and found this neat little Bench top metal hand shaper, then I spent my whole morning driving up to Tarpon Springs to purchase it hers a few photos for your viewing pleasure.It was very cheap a total give away.

That looks just like my adept 8 shaper.
It's one of those tools I really need to find a place for in the work shop. I think it will save much money on gym bills, i've just got to remember to alternate the hand used for the stroke. :jester:

Stuart

Lured the boys into the shop for a while Sunday. We put the head/pulley housing/motor back on the ram of the mill. We cleaned some more on the table. We turned a pvc fitting a little larger so we could fit a seal between it and the pipe only to find out we were short pipe. Then we built a tray out of trash bag and 2x2 to evaporust the leadscrew in instead. Scrubbing some of the nasty off of the ram, turret and column rounded out shop time Sunday. Hopefully Monday sees us meeting a truck with a new table and some vises ect. That is a pretty little shaper. love to see someone else put that to work.

Project in progress. I was asked to make a hole drilling jig for a 4 player Cribbage Board. The print was completed this morning. That's a picture of the board in the corner. It ia all I had to go by. Finished board will be 8X18.

"Billy G" :thinking:

102_1234 (650 x 488).jpg

Spent about 1 1/2 hours trying to dial in the tailstock of my small lathe. Needed a little shop time after watching the grand daughter today! 5 year olds can really talk!

Drilled the face plate for my control panel build. Still have to enlarge a couple of holes and do some hand filing on the square holes to perfect the fit of some parts.

Bob

Project in progress. I was asked to make a hole drilling jig for a 4 player Cribbage Board. The print was completed this morning. That's a picture of the board in the corner. It ia all I had to go by. Finished board will be 8X18.

"Billy G" :thinking:
Neat! Are the boards a woodworking project? I look forward to the jig and a finished project pic, too if you get one.

Neat! Are the boards a woodworking project? I look forward to the jig and a finished project pic, too if you get one.

I've got a dxf file of several different boards if you need. A circle, traditional 2,3 player, a m shaped one and straight down and back. I cut them on a Waterjet out of 1/8 alum and use a self centering hinge drill bit.

Back