2013 POTD Thread Archive

Had a Good day.
My latest order from Wholesale Tool arrived, so I was able to complete a few projects.I'm having some trouble inserting pics, so will do the best I can.
I received round carbide inserts so machined a holder to use these in my home-made wood turning tool;
2013 iphone april 342.jpg
2013 iphone april 071.jpg Here is one wood turning tool complete (laying down) and another in process (in lathe)

Because I also received a diamond point wheel dresser, I also wanted a larger and flat tool rest for my bench grinder so made one from a piece of angle. I also made a dressing point holder with adjustable collar and wooden handle. I'll get better at adding pics appropriately so will have more complete info in the future. 2013 iphone april 344.jpg
Both of these required using the South Bend lathe as a mill - see setup above.
2013 iphone april 348.jpg

2013 iphone april 342.jpg 2013 iphone april 344.jpg 2013 iphone april 348.jpg 2013 iphone april 071.jpg

I needed some way to adapt the 20 ton press to do rivet jobs, so I fabricated an add-on piece/holder and a couple of rivet bars. Still in the rough stages, and the bars (or at least the tips) need to be hardened yet, but all in all I'm satisfied with it. I DID manage to thread one hole a little off center though - guess I got in a little to much of a hurry.......

IMGP2321.JPGIMGP2323.JPGIMGP2325.JPG

IMGP2321.JPG IMGP2323.JPG IMGP2325.JPG

Nice! I like the way you thought it out. I mean you could have just made the collar with the rivet tool turned from one piece but by doing it in two you can use the adapter for several different tools. have you got any plans for more tools for this

I needed some way to adapt the 20 ton press to do rivet jobs, so I fabricated an add-on piece/holder and a couple of rivet bars. Still in the rough stages, and the bars (or at least the tips) need to be hardened yet, but all in all I'm satisfied with it. I DID manage to thread one hole a little off center though - guess I got in a little to much of a hurry.......

View attachment 52241View attachment 52242View attachment 52243

Nice! I like the way you thought it out. I mean you could have just made the collar with the rivet tool turned from one piece but by doing it in two you can use the adapter for several different tools. have you got any plans for more tools for this

Thanks. I suspect this will turn into a "as needed" tool production/fabrication. I already have another hardened bar for removing barrels from some trunnions, and I'll be making a tool for pressing barrel pins from surplus rifles. Those are usually a bear to get out. Who knows what will come up. :thinking:

Oh yeah I forgot GO BEARS!!!!!!

Thanks. I suspect this will turn into a "as needed" tool production/fabrication. I already have another hardened bar for removing barrels from some trunnions, and I'll be making a tool for pressing barrel pins from surplus rifles. Those are usually a bear to get out. Who knows what will come up. :thinking:

the brush is a good idea i might have to try that out. is it a brass or nylon bristle though? looks like brass in the pictures

Todd, Itis a brass bristle cheep tooth brush style, I cut the handle off. You can get these for like 2 for $3.00. It is also made so it can be indexed so as the bristle wear you just move the brush.
I do not see any reason it could not be a nylon bristle like say a stiff tooth brush. I just always use a brass brush on the leadscrew when I clean it so I though why not just mount it.

the brush is a good idea i might have to try that out. is it a brass or nylon bristle though? looks like brass in the pictures

Was on Craigslist last night and found this neat little Bench top metal hand shaper, then I spent my whole morning driving up to Tarpon Springs to purchase it hers a few photos for your viewing pleasure.It was very cheap a total give away.

Never seen one before. Very nice and clean design.

Back