2013 POTD Thread Archive

The reverse counterbore tool came from Brown Aviation today.
Reverse Counterbore Tool.jpg

Here is the light head with the switch mounted.
Light Head with Switch.jpg

Walt

Reverse Counterbore Tool.jpg Light Head with Switch.jpg

The reverse counterbore tool came from Brown Aviation today.

Walt

Hey Walt, thanks for the lead, I just bought their 14 piece kit. What a great idea.

Kit

Last edited:
Today's task was to move some stuff around in my shop to make room for the burke mill. I am kinda dedicating one corner of my wood shop to the metal machines, I will cover them when I am doing wood working.
Here you can see the south bend in it's place, a free aluminum back splash mounted on the wall, and to the lower left of the wall cabinet a plate mounted to the wall where the vfd will go.
shop,-mill-001.jpg

This is all the stuff I had to move to make room for the mill'
shop,-mill-002.jpg

All ready for the mill. I think I can leave the shelf on the wall.....we'll see.
shop,-mill-003.jpg

I really need to move and get a larger free standing shop, half metal and mechanical shop and half wood shop.

shop,-mill-001.jpg shop,-mill-002.jpg shop,-mill-003.jpg

Today I wired an outlet (220/15), made an ext cord, and powered up my new 2me 12x36 lathe. It is in extremely good shape. The previous owner used only very ocasionaly to work on pool ques (!?!). The 4 jaw chuck is still in its little shipping crate! I'm cleaning her up, there is still the wax/grease from shipping in a lot of places.

Today I decided to make my spindle box and see how good I could get it (or how badly is screw it up). Cut my bits and bored the ends for the spindle bearings. Welded a stop plate on the back side of the holes for a bearing race stop (as the bearings are almost 3/4" wide and that's what I used for the ends, which made boring easier).

DSCF6785.JPG

Used a ground 90 angle I had and clamped everything up tight, and then welded one end to the back plate

DSCF6787.JPG

Welded the two sides on, then test fit the other end. Looks good, so I welded up the other end. Did all the welds inside just to hold it, and just in case I mess up I can separate them. Shaft moved smooth. Did a proper deep penetrating weld on the outside seams and then decided to check how goo I got this. Using my gauge I got an off round deviation of 0.0005 (smallest increment the gauge will show) ... almost peed myself I was so happy.

DSCF6790.JPG

Decided to kieep going (even though my back was screaming NOOOO) and ground off all the welds to make it nicer looking and to check the weld penitration. Once done I was whacked, so I painted the thing with my standard tremclad grey and called it a day ..... Still smiling, soon the lathe will be done ... again.

DSCF6791.JPG DSCF6782.JPG DSCF6783.JPG DSCF6784.JPG DSCF6785.JPG DSCF6786.JPG DSCF6787.JPG DSCF6788.JPG DSCF6789.JPG DSCF6790.JPG

Today's task was to move some stuff around in my shop to make room for the burke mill. I am kinda dedicating one corner of my wood shop to the metal machines, I will cover them when I am doing wood working.
Here you can see the south bend in it's place, a free aluminum back splash mounted on the wall, and to the lower left of the wall cabinet a plate mounted to the wall where the vfd will go.
View attachment 51338

This is all the stuff I had to move to make room for the mill'
View attachment 51339

All ready for the mill. I think I can leave the shelf on the wall.....we'll see.
View attachment 51340

I really need to move and get a larger free standing shop, half metal and mechanical shop and half wood shop.

I was wondering why you weren't posting about making chips fly on the Heavy 10 yet! That's a nice shop. Too clean! ;) Is that a VFD for the lathe I see on the cart?

I was wondering why you weren't posting about making chips fly on the Heavy 10 yet! That's a nice shop. Too clean! ;) Is that a VFD for the lathe I see on the cart?

Too clean.....HA HA, Now that's a good one, I will get a pick of the other side and you will see that I'm human and a.d.d. to boot! And yes that is the vfd for the lathe.
But on another note, the burke is in it's place today, pics to follow. I oiled everything up and turned all the handles to distribute the oil, oiled all the ways and machined surfaces. Wired the motor back up and threw the switch.........it's amazing how smooth a 70 year old machine can be, pretty quiet too! When the motor runs you get a smell like running old lionell trains, you know that old oil and electricity smell, very cool to me.

When the motor runs you get a smell like running old lionell trains, you know that old oil and electricity smell, very cool to me.

Wow, I haven't smelled that for well over fifty years but it came flooding back as soon as I read that. That is a distinctive smell.

Steve

I still have an original Lionel set (with original boxes) from the late 40's and whenever I open the box to check it out, it still smells the same. I think it's from the little smoke pills that cooked from a heating coil inside the smokestack.

Ray

Wow, I haven't smelled that for well over fifty years but it came flooding back as soon as I read that. That is a distinctive smell.

Steve

Back