2013 POTD Thread Archive

I still have an original Lionel set (with original boxes) from the late 40's and whenever I open the box to check it out, it still smells the same. I think it's from the little smoke pills that cooked from a heating coil inside the smokestack.

Woooow. Now that does bring back memories. My brother had Lionels and I do remember that distinctive smell. Thanks for that.

I wasted most of the afternoon building a lifting eye to go on the front of my riding mower. I used a clearance u bolt Iv had for awhile. Real simpe drill two holes in the front cross member, and bolt up. I then tested it by raising the front of the mower up to change blades for the upcoming mowing season. I was so happy with my sucess, I took the wife and kids out for dinner.

I spent most of my morning building bushings and pins to adapt my cat 1 auger to my new to me cat 2 tractor. I just recently acquired my first lathe and WOW what a wonderful and useful tool. I could have spent an entire day trying find shelf parts to make it work but instead I just turned and built what was needed. I really enjoy the forums, great advice from very knowledgable people.

Easy going day today. Took the dog for a long walk then spent time making 5 sets of these surface grinder hub adapters; one for each decent wheel I have. The threads are left hand and there's a 14.25[SUP]o[/SUP] taper inside the shaft. The nut on this one needs to be parted or cut in half. These are made of 1045. The main hub and shaft part are made from two pieces of stock, TIG'd together and turned to size. They just need a little more trimming on the non-critical surfaces and some finish work.

I spent a lot of time messing around with the Kool Mist unit while making these and was experimenting with how kool mist changes cut dimensions with carbide vs HSS etc. Things change a little because the parts stay cooler and the cut compensations change a little. I was practicing by cutting to extremely high levels of precision just for grins.

Ray

Hub Parts.JPG

Had a busy day with some paperwork issues but managed to turn-down the shaft part of the grinder hub. I designed the thing and wanted the shaft specs at 1.250 +0, -0.0005. Took three passes to get in the ballpark, took 15 thou off for the last pass plus a spring pass and the final dims came out 1.2499. Zero variance over the 1.875" length. -Really nice to have a lathe that does what you want it to (and knowing it can do it because it was aligned properly).

View attachment 51203

Hub Parts.JPG

Last edited:
My lathe's been overdue a lick of paint for a while, so I got high on various solvent fumes then successfully transferred more smooth enamel to my hands and arms than the bed webs I was aiming at....

Tried to get the mig borrowed from a mate into use (already replaced the wire liner, beaten some panels straight, stripped and rebuilt the wire feed) only to have the argon **** out around the regulator - blued the seat to check the sealing and spotted two little cracks where someone had overtightened the regulator into the bottle valve - meh. Tomorrow I'll try some PTFE tape to seal it. Temporary fix until the bottle gets exchanged is enough for me.

Got really peed off with swarf sticking to everything in the shed (been playing with dc motors), and a mate brought me an orbital sander to look at after it smoked a bit... Burnt out armature but field coil intact, so stripped it out and put it in a box with a 12v transformer and a few odds and sods to see if it would demagnetise things... Put in a bridge rectifier and AC/dc switch in case I actually want something magnetised too! Daughter then called supper, in for a big bowl of tortellini, delicious! See how the demag works tomorrow too, if not enough urge I'll try more volts from another transformer, got plenty :)

Dave H. (the other one)

Spent most of the day cleaning and wire brushing my South Bend getting her ready for paint, Made this adapter for the Hougan mag drill at work. We had 2 1/4" adapters but needed a 3/8" one so after trying to drill the factory one vthat was harder than a step mothers heart I decided to make one. Gonna fit a chuck to it too.

Mag drill adapter (1).JPG Mag drill adapter (2).JPG Mag drill adapter (3).JPG

Not anything earth shattering, but I cut down the tabletop for my drill press table I made out of 2x8's and added an MDF top. I had to take the drill presses apart. Then I added the SB DP head that Jim B. worked on and painted for me. Next I will add the shroud and pulley cover. I'm straightening up so that I can begin to get things working.

016.gif017.gif

016.gif 017.gif

Today I made a new blade tensioner knob for my 4x6" bandsaw. I got the band saw from Tractor Supply, but it is the same as the Harbor Freight units. Once I figured it out, with help from this forum and other internet sites, it actually works pretty darn good. I don't know how I got by without it.
The knob that I use to remove / replace the blade and adjust the blade tension was a real piece of guano and about the tenth time I changed the blade (or just put it back on ;-) the knob was toast. I've been using a 14mm socket and a rachet... So today I made a new knob from 2 1/2 inch aluminum.
Bandsaw1.JPG
Bandsaw2.JPG
Bandsaw3.JPG

I should have made the new knob sooner!

Bandsaw1.JPG Bandsaw2.JPG Bandsaw3.JPG

Back