2013 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks. I'm still at the stage of looking for simple things to make and being fascinated that I can make a bolt ;)
Must be nice to have time to make goodies like that.
I do like your bolt, the threading looks great as does the taper on the base.

Around here I always have something that needs fixing so I never find the time.
I have a taper cross slide for my SB 9a that I just can't find enough spare time to get cleaned up and installed.
Then I need to find time to make the taper attachment.
It seems that when I find a few free minutes I am sucked in by gravity to this here keyboard. :lmao:

I worked on repairing my power downfeed. It required me to make a bronze contact to replace a tufnol one. I will make a tufnol button once I get my hands on some material.

Optimized-P9220068.JPGOptimized-P9220069.JPG

Optimized-P9220070.JPG

Paul.

Optimized-P9220068.JPG Optimized-P9220069.JPG Optimized-P9220070.JPG

Carried a mill drill from one shop to mine Had to take it apart to get it out of a basment

Last edited:
Nice!
But me I am simple and have plenty of things to make so when I need a jack I use an old 1-2-3 block and thread a flat topped bolt into it.
I like having the wider base.

Simple great idea!

Wife pressurizing me. As she dont like anything I do, hard to beleive she wants to learn how to drive my new Chrismast present Ford.
Another; I didnt tell her about. Getter done "nope" I tell her get out of my kitchen. go go. A customer I'll getter done, this; is done my
way. Today I bored all valve chambers none were concentric they didnt care in 1923 they just wanted high quotas per day. I am to
port polish and a little releiving so it will breath better. I'm stuck, with to use sb chevy seats and valves or not to? whatever, the guides
still have to be reamed. Lots of people are using sb chevy exhaust valves, they are identical just larger stems. The tops of the lifter bores
I ran a 1/2 end mill around, and got rid of all that rough casting. "not really cutting down, but rather leveling mountain tops off. Then its
many dremel tools. And covering the mill with masking paper magnets rags; and cast iron is nasty. vacuumed again again, then I always
paint that jipson stuff on the internals. Thats the pro way for anything concerned with oil. boring pic you can see all that rough casting
in there, unfinished from the factory. And then I found number plates I had on my last Ford, they are as new back in the day.
sam

red jibson.JPG conctric boring.JPG 117-1708_IMG.JPG

No machining today. Ran the 6/3 cable from my main panel, out to the garage for the pony panel. With the new mill coming (230 volt), I finally broke down and decided to do things right. I even took out the Micky Mouse cable I had running the lathe. It was something the previous home owner had spliced into the dryer circuit. 60 amps of available juice straight from a dedicated panel in the garage is going to be a very welcome addition.

Unfortunately i did nothing in the shop today. My entire shop is in a POD headed from NC to Colorado. The move will be great fulfilling a lifelong dream. Retirement is not good ---- IT IS AWESOME.
Apparently PODS can handle quite a heavy load. Thank goodness.
I moved the machinery as well as plenty of various metals to work with when i get the new shop operational.
It will be great to set it up from scratch. The old shop grew haphazardly.

Congrats on the retirement. good luck on the move. and I hope you will post some pics as you set up the shop. and maybe explain the hows and why of it. can't wait till it is my turn to do the same.
mark

Unfortunately i did nothing in the shop today. My entire shop is in a POD headed from NC to Colorado. The move will be great fulfilling a lifelong dream. Retirement is not good ---- IT IS AWESOME.
I moved the machinery as well as plenty of various metals to work with when i get the new shop operational.

No real machining today-

Remounted the little Ammco Shaper on a cool old cast iron Ford-Model-A-engine-block-resurfacing-machine-stand.

qe7e7ure.jpg

Started wiring VFD for big Walker Turner drill press, and disassembled old machines to make roooomm :)

I also used the Famco horizontal bandsaw for the first time today to cut off a piece of angle iron to mount the VFD. I am already wondering WHAT I EVER DID WITHOUT A HORIZONTAL BANDSAW? :) ... Wow

Bernie

Last edited:

I know the feeling of putting it all in storage, and starting fresh. I had an indefinite time for storage when mine went in, so I was UNhappy. But all unpacked now!

If you buy some grid paper, or use an application of some kind with proportionately cut sized representations of your machines, it will help you set the new shop up with MUCH less moving things around. I used Photoshop, but I already have it as photography is my business.

Definitely leave at least 24 inches between benches facing each other as an isle. I moved down to a smaller shop, and I'm still wrestling with space. I didn't quite allot enough space in one isle, and I have to turn just he right way to bend down to the bottom shelf :)

Bernie

Back