2013 POTD Thread Archive

I got tired of running the old double nuts up and down on my drill press so I made a new one with 1/2 - 20 threads so I can use the stop from my Bridgeport.

100_8509.JPG

Today I cut a plastic tub that held laundry soap to use to hold the early morning set of flashers and hoochies on my Salmon Troller. Then I retrieved some very large end wrenches to make a hydraulic repair on it tomorrow. Then I made some 5 inch by 9 inch "boards" out of an old plastic cutting board to be used to act as foils pulling the trollers wires away from the boat. I drilled two holes in each board and locked the door.

During salmon season the shop gets a lick and a promise about once a week. I can't wait for November.

I finished up and installed a reverse idler gear for my Grizzly G0602 lathe:
518662b46fd4933870d0ef55c998535c_zpsc265a0a9.jpg

It allows the lead screw to run in "reverse", allowing left-handed threads to be cut.
The design came from Jim Schroeder over at ProjectsInMetal.

518662b46fd4933870d0ef55c998535c_zpsc265a0a9.jpg

More like "in the shop this week" Boring is boring. Counter boring valve in block seats with a runout that can be measured with a yard stick.
Talk about interupted cuts which boring bars dont like. Hours and hours so I had to borrowed a bar stool from the house which worked so
well I'll keep it she wont miss it. This is interesting I found out, using a little locktite, on one seat, I needed another .001 wiped the bore
clean as I could and It would not cut???? I find it gets in the pores and the boring bar just skates over it. Laquer thinner and die grinder with
wire wheel did it. I didnt think that stuff sets up that quickly.

117-1719_IMG.JPG 117-1720_IMG.JPG

Made a new inlet nozzle ring for a electric Ducted Fan unit. Need to make one more. First pic. shows the old ring on the left.

"Billy G"

102_0146 (550 x 309).jpg 102_0147 (550 x 309).jpg

Thanks! Truth be told, after seeing yours, I almost copied you, but in the end I didn't because I had already ordered hex stock to copy him in the first place :D

Was admiring Your Machining and wondering How well made, till U said "HEX STOCK"
Now why did we not think of that ~!@#$%^&*(
Kudos MAN.
Nice pic and very nice work indeed.
Hope Friend get his done without "any welds". They detract from the possibilities of MACHINING a part.
just our two cents worth, if any.
aRM

Was admiring Your Machining and wondering How well made, till U said "HEX STOCK"
Now why did we not think of that ~!@#$%^&*(
Kudos MAN.
Nice pic and very nice work indeed.
Hope Friend get his done without "any welds". They detract from the possibilities of MACHINING a part.
just our two cents worth, if any.
aRM

Thanks. I actually ordered stock that was too big and had to thin it up a bit. It looks like the right size is 1.25" if you take a bit off the corners with the lathe. The inside diameter of the locking ring on my AXA measured about 1.4".

Made a new inlet nozzle ring for a electric Ducted Fan unit. Need to make one more. First pic. shows the old ring on the left.

"Billy G"

What does this go in? :thinking: I want to know more about it. Looks cool.

Jeff

More like "in the shop this week" Boring is boring. Counter boring valve in block seats with a runout that can be measured with a yard stick.
Talk about interupted cuts which boring bars dont like. Hours and hours so I had to borrowed a bar stool from the house which worked so
well I'll keep it she wont miss it. This is interesting I found out, using a little locktite, on one seat, I needed another .001 wiped the bore
clean as I could and It would not cut???? I find it gets in the pores and the boring bar just skates over it. Laquer thinner and die grinder with
wire wheel did it. I didnt think that stuff sets up that quickly.
I've often wondered about inserts. I have a Hudson 308 block that it was done to, by a pro. engine machine shop, and I keep thinking about the difference of shrink and stretch of the inserts compared to the cast iron block. and if your fixing a "cracked seat" in the block like mine was, why does the crack just not open up and let the new seat fall right out ? can someone offer an easy explaination ? ?

What does this go in? :thinking: I want to know more about it. Looks cool.

Jeff

There will be two of them. They will power something that looks like a A10 Warthog. Combined thrust of the two is 24 lbs.

"Billy G"

Back