2013 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks for the good wishes and great ideas on setting up a shop.
Al

I
moved some machines around.

069.jpg051.jpg054.jpg

OK so it wasn't my shop it was John's you know john Deer. Have some pics of a 36 " x16' lathe they have also I will post latter.

051.jpg 054.jpg 069.jpg

I went down to my old shop and brought some more of my tools up to my new shop- my upright metal bandsaw, my small bender on a stand, my pexto shear, my big atlas arbor press and my A-frame crane for lifting heavy machines off my truck.---here are some pics of them----DaveDSCF0029.JPGDSCF0038.JPGDSCF0045.JPGDSCF0044.JPGDSCF0043.JPGDSCF0047.JPGDSCF0028.JPGDSCF0027.JPGDSCF0026.JPGDSCF0024.JPGDSCF0023.JPGDSCF0037.JPG

DSCF0029.JPG DSCF0023.JPG DSCF0024.JPG DSCF0026.JPG DSCF0027.JPG DSCF0028.JPG DSCF0047.JPG DSCF0043.JPG DSCF0044.JPG DSCF0045.JPG DSCF0038.JPG DSCF0037.JPG

someone posted pictures of a simple little angle plate for a mill vice. I enjoy doing small parts so I figured I better have one too. found a small slab of something and a hunk of round stock and went at it.

drilled a bunch of mostly even spaced holes, some went thru and some not. . that's what I planned. all for 1/4-20 socket head capscrews.

I used my new spiral fluted tap. they do an effortless job on mild steel. I got the plug chamfered one for a trial use. still had to buy it but I told the supplier that I was going to offer them with a couple of bits, in a little box, if they worked like others have claimed. well, they do work great.

anyway, I needed this angle plate to hold a couple thin parts I wanted to carve a bunch of teeth in, like a meat tenderizer. I am totally impressed on how well it worked in holding the parts but also holding the angle as it was set to, in the mill vice. just had to share. . . .
thanks for looking. . .adjustable holding block.JPGangle hold down1in vice.JPGjaws &hangle hold down.JPGtappin with sprial flute.JPG

adjustable holding block.JPG angle hold down1in vice.JPG jaws &hangle hold down.JPG tappin with sprial flute.JPG

There was no machining involved in this project but it was needed to complete some machine work in process. This project was not large but has taken place over several days since there was drying time involved.

Today I put the parts back into the case for a set of Starrett depth micrometers. The set was thrown away by a large company so the price was right and I adopted it and gave it a new home. The set appeared to have gotten wet from setting in some liquid resulting in rust and case damage. The bottom half of the case had all the finish off of it and there was a large split in the wood. I glued and clamped the bottom and then re-stained and clear coated the whole case. The screws for the case and latches would not hold so I also had to fix some of them. Some of the micrometer parts still need to be soaked in Evapo-rust rust remover but the zero-to-one stem rod is useable. The remaining rust does not interfere with the function and has been stopped for the time being with steel wool and penetrating oil. The need for the 0-1 micrometer size was what prompted the project. Fellow forum member OlCatBob and I needed the micrometer some time ago in order to finish another project. I could have used a set from forum member Charley Davidson but forced myself locate and get this set usable. It was not needed when I brought it home and it had been lost in the basement “stuff”.

Starrett_0182R.jpg
Starrett_0183R.jpg

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Starrett_0182R.jpg Starrett_0183R.jpg

That's really nice, Benny. Both the tools and the case. Was the original Starrett logo still good? Looks great.

That's really nice, Benny. Both the tools and the case. Was the original Starrett logo still good? Looks great.

Thanks, Hawkeye.

Yes the logo is original. The outside-top of the case was in pretty good condition and the clear finish was still in place for the most part. The water damage apparently came up from the bottom. However the inside of the top did need stain and a good sealing. The outside top only received one coat of clear finish and a little glue under the veneer on one corner. I used the top to match the stain color at the store.

Used the micrometer for the first time today to finish a project.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Today I made a replacement for the top nut on my AXA toolpost. I still need to make a handle for it, but it works great with the handle from the dovetail lock ring. It's a blatant ripoff of the one doubleboost on YouTube made for himself.

dZbWhEM.jpe

dZbWhEM.jpe

Nice, I like that much better than the handle I welded to the nut. I just ordered another AXA tool post for my new lathe, I'll be borrowing your borrowed design.

Shawn

Thanks! Truth be told, after seeing yours, I almost copied you, but in the end I didn't because I had already ordered hex stock to copy him in the first place :D

Not a fun thing to do, but I drilled and tapped flanges for my wife's company. 1/2NPT. Turns into a lot of work.

DSC_0184 (2).JPGDSC_0185 (2).JPG

DSC_0184 (2).JPG DSC_0185 (2).JPG

Back