2013 POTD Thread Archive

There was a thread earlier this month regarding a shear cutter for shapers, seams to have disappeared or I can't find it.
In the thread I'd asked for tips on how to reduce chatter while I was cutting teeth on a rack. One of the suggestions was to eliminate the tool holder and mount a larger blank directly on the clapper.
Tried it today and can't believe the difference.
Who ever it was that suggested it THANKS.

View attachment 65210

Greg

I dont know if it was me or not, cause I dont use a holder either.

Nice job yer doing
sam

Ive been posting in the chat Ive been working on an addition on my shop. I work on my garden tractors here, but I can see that a larger lathe will be needed. So I started a bit sooner than what I had planed, as I took a small loader backhoe in on trade, and I HAD to test it before I could resell it! LOL

This white oak was around 70ft tall, got 3 nice logs out of it and the neighbors and I got lots of fire wood too. Some of the pics Ill atempt to post are of my oldest sitting on the log when we dropped the main trunk. Others is of my friend who has the saw mill, Micky cutting some red oak posts and sawing the log in half with a 36 in bar. Youll see a guy staining the red oak posts, that Sammy our lead machanic and a big guy doing nuttin, he runs our shop at the dealership.

Ive had my boys Vince and Danny working with me. They are learning to read a rule use the nail gun and the basics of building. I have to get my pipe for the wood stove and then I can finish up. Maybe by the first of the year Ill be ready to work in it.
image-3.jpegimage-2.jpegimage-5.jpegimage-6.jpegimage-8.jpegimage-11.jpegimage-14.jpeg

image-1.jpeg image-2.jpeg image-3.jpeg image-5.jpeg image-6.jpeg image-8.jpeg image-11.jpeg image-14.jpeg

Actually Wednesday, not Thanksgiving day.

A chuck key for my flex shaft grinder. The standard T-type chuck keys are annoying because they're slow to open the chuck. With the modified one, I can spin it with my fingers and at the end use the cross bar to tighten the chuck.

I epoxied (JB Weld) the stem of the chuck key in the knurled holder I made.

What a nice simple idea!

Regards, Matthew.

Re: What Did You Do in Your Shop Today?

Turned down a couple of 20-50mm reducers to fit a 50mm coupling and convert them into a "break siphon" for my aquaponics tank.
As I'm pumping to the bottom of the tank if the pump stops or fails then it would siphon out all the tank water.
Hopefully the ping pong ball will last, the unit will be plumbed into a "T" piece so the pressure pushes the ping pong ball into the top reducer thus blocking it. When the siphon starts it should suck back the ball thus allowing in air to break the siphon. I dont expect the seal to be perfect so the top of the unit will drain any leakage into the top of the tank.
The stainless rod stops the ball from dropping all the way down and sealing the pipe and its a very tight fit so I'm hoping its water tight.
The reducer with the rod is glued into the coupling.
I profiled a cutter to cut the deep "O" ring groove
Still have to add 3 grub screws to prevent the pump from blowing the unit apart.
break-siphon2.jpgbreak-siphon.jpgbreak-siphon3.jpg

break-siphon.jpg break-siphon2.jpg break-siphon3.jpg

Well my project of the day turned out to be going through this whole thread! Some amazing work and solutions to problems. I think a lot of us are from the generation where you had to fix what you had, not chuck it in the dump and go get another one at Wal Mart. The day was not a total loss from another perspective, my wife noticed me wasting my day away on the computer and assigned me laundry duty while she went out with a friend........

Ive been posting in the chat Ive been working on an addition on my shop. I work on my garden tractors here, but I can see that a larger lathe will be needed. So I started a bit sooner than what I had planed, as I took a small loader backhoe in on trade, and I HAD to test it before I could resell it! LOL

Vince,

That looks like an awesome project for you and your boys!

I'll admit it up front: I'm cheap. Not wanting to wait for a valve spring compressor, and pay for it and the shipping, I machined my own from a scrap chunk of conduit. The head in the pic is for a VW Type 1 stroker build. Blocked up the head on my (cheap) benchtop drill press and used the quill to do the pushing. This tool removed all 8 valves in about 10 minutes. The 2287cc engine will go into my Sonerai aircraft, producing about 85HP.

TomVW Valve Spring Compressor.jpg

VW Valve Spring Compressor.jpg

I'll admit it up front: I'm cheap. Not wanting to wait for a valve spring compressor, and pay for it and the shipping, I machined my own from a scrap chunk of conduit. The head in the pic is for a VW Type 1 stroker build. Blocked up the head on my (cheap) benchtop drill press and used the quill to do the pushing. This tool removed all 8 valves in about 10 minutes. The 2287cc engine will go into my Sonerai aircraft, producing about 85HP.

TomView attachment 65264

AWESOME. I miss my Beetle.

Bernie

Thanks LJP.

I made a stainless steel bolt and a brass nut on Friday. My first attempt at internal threading and it came out a little cleaner than the stainless steel bolt. I've been fiddling with it all weekend.

20131129_123908_zpsd825755d.jpg

20131129_123833_zps1172a640.jpg

20131129_123908_zpsd825755d.jpg

20131129_123833_zps1172a640.jpg

Last edited:
Back