2013 POTD Thread Archive

The bearing for my sharper came in this morning. The drive was a lot quieter but still noisier than I wanted. Swapped the motor pulley from a 3 inch to a 1 1/2, the machine still strokes way faster in high than it needs to and is WAY quieter, No idea what size it originally had but the smaller pulley spins the intermediate shives slower making the difference.

Greg

Re: POTD - Project of the Day- Organized my 13/16 Button Dies

Been working on this off and on for 3 weeks and finished the labeling today. You can see my 4-80 TPI gauge, Die Handle, Allen Wrench, Screwdriver, Fishtail, Feeler gauge. This was an empty cigar box that I put to better use, body filled sanded and sprayed with some left over PPG Concept paint. The inside is a solid piece of Mahogany that I milled, the thumb nail for the dies was done by elevating the board in the mill vise and touching with a 3/4 end mill. The home made screwdriver slot is milled deeper on the handle end so you can push it down and the blade end will pop up. The Allen was drilled and driven into the wood to form a hex so it would not turn. The under side of the Mahogany has been hollowed out to store extra dies and left handed one that are rarely used any more and the entire piece can be lifted out, I then coated with a automotive clear coat to make it oil and cutting oil resistant. This layout was the 8th in a process of looking at it and then coming up with a better design until I settled on this final version. I put a small magnet under the fishtail to hold it in place.

BUTTON DIES 002.jpgBUTTON DIES 001.jpg

BUTTON DIES 002.jpg BUTTON DIES 001.jpg

Re: POTD - Project of the Day-make a drawbar

I posted this in another thread but figured what the heck. let's put in the project of the day thread.

I made a new drawbar for my benchtop mill. The whole project is covered in 6 minutes of video, most of it fast motion of my th54 lathe doing most of the actual work.

There are other ways to make a drawbar than turning it from solid hex stock, but I had some kicking around and I wanted to create some chips.

I knew the lathe was going to do most of the work, so taking video was pretty easy. Its the editing that takes all the time for a project.

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">[video=youtube_share;mmaqK4VtulY]http://youtu.be/mmaqK4VtulY[/video]

Very enjoyable video indeed! We should get more videos on the POTD. It is so easy to see how people do things on videos.

Re: POTD - Project of the Day- Organized my 13/16 Button Dies

Been working on this off and on for 3 weeks and finished the labeling today. You can see my 4-80 TPI gauge, Die Handle, Allen Wrench, Screwdriver, Fishtail, Feeler gauge. This was an empty cigar box that I put to better use, body filled sanded and sprayed with some left over PPG Concept paint. The inside is a solid piece of Mahogany that I milled, the thumb nail for the dies was done by elevating the board in the mill vise and touching with a 3/4 end mill. The home made screwdriver slot is milled deeper on the handle end so you can push it down and the blade end will pop up. The Allen was drilled and driven into the wood to form a hex so it would not turn. The under side of the Mahogany has been hollowed out to store extra dies and left handed one that are rarely used any more and the entire piece can be lifted out, I then coated with a automotive clear coat to make it oil and cutting oil resistant. This layout was the 8th in a process of looking at it and then coming up with a better design until I settled on this final version. I put a small magnet under the fishtail to hold it in place.

View attachment 65547View attachment 65548

Very nice project that you took a lot of pain in perfecting, Really makes your old set look very valuable (which it is) Love it.

using aluminum C channel, I put together some railway cars with micro-fastener bolts

xDSC_5879.jpg xDSC_5881.jpg

Trying to control chips in my basement shop. No matter how careful I am some chips find their way upstairs. My main concern is the grandkids. I made a mat using 1x2's alternating full length pieces with short pieces for spacers and held together with 1/4 x 20 threaded rod. The chips fall right thru and can be vacuumed up when they accumulate. Easy on the feet, too.

LATHE FLOOR MAT.JPG

Last edited:
Have a lot of issues with chips ending up in the house, so decided on a cheap way to help clean up the little buggers. got a "magnetic handle" thing that looks like a broom with a round magnet on it (it was cheap). Use it to pick up the chips around the shop floor (put a plastic bag over the end to make cleaning it easy) and keep the garbage separate from the metal stuff (that i dump at the recyclers). Fortunately I almost exclusively work with steel, otherwise dealing with aluminum and brass is a different ball game. Thinking of putting a vacuum end need the head to suck a lot of this up before it gets flung all over

Back