2015 POTD Thread Archive

I made a couple indexing holders, one specifically to hold new iscar pqlnr tool, which uses qnmg inserts, I got the holder on the cheap, it started as a 1 inch, but soon became a 3/4 shank, the qnmg is a negative insert, the holder lays down a little, but the TF geometry is described as very positive rake with low tool pressure, I'm using it on my atlas, and am extremely pleased with the surface finishes I get with it, taking .080 cuts is cake in 4140, but even in cr1018 the surface was quite impressive. The oversize holders I made for the tool post we're dimensioned slightly off dorians size 30 indexing holders, I don't have an indexing post but, they look cool haha, the inserts are big, 431 size, it's all big boy tools, the finish on the tool holder looks really cool, almost scraped looking, was hard to get same shot of that, only part I didn't make was the nut and set screws, I did the knurling and threaded rod, learned something about my knurling tool, I ran it at 400rpm, and traversed it off the work, stopped and traversed back towards the headstock, perfect knurl, mind you I had already made 3 passes and it looked like crappie until I walked it off the work and back on20150726_015325.jpg 20150724_221911.jpg

Sorry for the huge pictures, the private plane I fly home from work every week, they broke my laptop screen, couple weeks ago they grabbed my bag and opened the flap by grabbing the buckle and tipped it, my tablet fell on the pavement and then he stepped on it too, I reprted it but let's see if they replace my screen.... laptop has all my cadcam stuff, I'm pist, I tell them all the time not to tip my bags and that my laptop is in there

I have a 10" baldor, awesome grinder, I built a stand outta pipe and a pipe flange (oil field)
Coolidge I have to question your sanity, spending all that for a tungsten grinder lol, one-uh them fancy handheld tungsten grinders for about 350 bucks would a been the Cadillac to have, with the angle a built in to it..... and you can't grind anything but tungsten with it so there's no contamination

Hell I still need to buy the casters for it! The heavy cast iron base at $470 was a big chunk of the cost but I couldn't see putting a 40 pound grinder on top a 30 lb base that would be asking for trouble. I was thinking I could make a quick change for that base to swap out the tungsten grinder for the regular grinder or buffer as needed so one base, 3 machines! ;)

Plus I have hate for anything China of late. :cautious:

Just one problem with those $350 hand held tungsten grinders, if you dip your tungsten in the puddle and get a glob of filler on it, which as a noob TIG welder I do like 15 times a day, then it doesn't fit in the hole DOH!! I saw that problem reported in buyer reviews.

Sorry for the huge pictures, the private plane I fly home from work every week, they broke my laptop screen, couple weeks ago they grabbed my bag and opened the flap by grabbing the buckle and tipped it, my tablet fell on the pavement and then he stepped on it too, I reprted it but let's see if they replace my screen.... laptop has all my cadcam stuff, I'm pist, I tell them all the time not to tip my bags and that my laptop is in there

No apologies required, the quality of that photo is exceptional what kind of camera do you have?

Got tired of lugging around a hudson sprayer...since i had a tank that i used on a job, and wheels that were on sale for 5 bucks each, I made a cart for it....now I'm good for 25 gallons of toxic mix for those damn weeds ...die die die!!!!!!

My son did basically the same thing as you did. We bought a cheap HF wagon, placed the sprayer on the wagon, tied it down with a hold down strap. He's been using it for the past three years. Had to replace the pump on it this year, another HF throw away item we bought.

What works really well for me is to extend the arc length just a touch when I dab rod, it's a must when tigging alu. After awhile the motions become natural, feeding rod was a sense of accomplishment for me lol.
Also use 1/16th filler on everything other than maybe 1/4in stock, just push more rod in, easier to control

Picked up a cheap trailer hitch ball at the local Chinese outlet (Princess Auto) and proceeded to machine the base off and remove the threaded shaft. I then machined a 1/4" x .625" x .500" deep slot in the bottom. I believe the ball was made of low quality (low lead content) leaded steel.

20150725_131332.jpg

I then shortened a 3/4" wrench and welded the stub end into the hole and voila - speed wrench for vise. Works great. Not sure what happened with picture colour.

20150726_120811.jpg

I then spent a few hours dialing in and machining a new King drill press table, including straightening and widening the slots so a tee nut would fit! Table was dished approximately .020" in the middle and outside border was .025" high. I HATE MACHINING CAST IRON!20150726_171724.jpg

Did you use the mitsubishi on that table john? Curious how it cuts cast iron

Back