2015 POTD Thread Archive

I recently bought a used Enco 5” mill vise - one of the Kurt knockoffs. I’ve been refurbishing it - did a major cleanup, lubed, and ordered a new ball thrust bearing. This vise is for my RF-30 clone in Oregon. It’s much too large for the mini-mill I have Arizona.

The vise includes a rotatable base. My latest task has been to mount a pair of adjustable indicators on the main body. I wanted the ability to do fine adjustment of the zero after indicating it in with the fixed jaw. By having indicators on both sides, I wouldn’t need to do contortions to see the angle setting, as when a single indicator ended up on the “back” side of the vise.

First off, I discovered that the side originally without an indicator overhung the protractor by about 1/8”. I used the following setup to mill off the excess with my mini-mill. Used the 3” vise and a couple of machinist jacks, and took light cuts.
kHPIM3494.jpg

Next, I cut out two rectangles of 25 gauge sheet metal for the indicators. I fabricated a machining fixture from hard maple. A step held the steel piece against the vise jaw, without applying too much pressure and buckling it. Undercuts at the ends let me use the edge finder to determine the center. A notch in the wood let the engraving cutter (D profile, with a sharply pointed end) run all the way to one side of the workpiece.
kHPIM3495.jpg

The next step was to center drill the ends of the adjustment notches. A previously completed piece is shown atop the vise.
kHPIM3499.jpg

Finally, I used a 1/8” endmill to make the notches. I used light cuts (plus black oil and high speed) to face mill as much as possible, so there’d be no tendency to lift the workpiece with the sides of the mill. The final cut was something like .005”
kHPIM3502.jpg

After using a belt sander to slightly round off the milled flat on the side of the vise, I marked out two suitable hole locations. Had to go to the frill press to do this, as the mini mill just didn’t have the vertical capacity (even with the LMS hydraulic lift and its extended rack). Tapped the holes 4-40.
kHPIM3503.jpg

The last picture shows the adustable indicator mounted on the vise. I set this one to the approximate center of the adjustment slots, rotated the base to zero degrees, then set the opposite indicator at the zero degree mark on that side.

I’ve heard that most of these vises are used without the rotating base, and I may well end up using mine the same way. But if I do use the rotation feature, I expect it will be a lot handier and easier as modified. kHPIM3504.jpg

Nice work! And to think I was there when you got that baby! Ahh how they grow up so fast... fYI the band saw is working great, I have an Eagle Scout coming over tomorrow to cut some steel pipe for his final project. His dad is an office type who needs directions on how to use a hammer, so his mom asked if I would help him out.

I builtimage.jpg a stand for my new lathe, cleaned and set it up, and made my first ever chips with a metal lathe. Nothing pretty, but it worked! Stand is a HF cheapo that I added a top to, shelves and caster so I can move the whole thing out of the way. I also mounted my small drill press on the back side.

Hi Guys
Well those SHCS's were really bugging me and seeing we now have the perfect mate in EAGLE ROCK we just needed to spruce things up a bit and get more effecient with fabricating and customising our own Bolts for the MILL SPLASH GUARD, for those of U who recall our pics on that here.
Anyway here's the pics of these 2 we made. They are in Bronze, what could be better for our own machine !!! Just need to get used to our Knurler and take smaller cuts on different materials next time. Hope these inspire some of U to do likewise, if not 033.JPG 042.JPG better.

This week I added an other tool to my collection.
Its a Power Hack saw.
Its a German Machine a Behringer type KS250HY capable of sawing pieces of Diameter 250 mm (9 1/2") at 90° and Diameter 150 mm ( 6") at 45°.
All I deed for now is clean it a little and Made sure it works.
It only needs a new saw blade.2015-02-20 19.27.41.jpg

Inspired yet again by another member's post (I should stop read the project of the day, it creates too many distractions), I had been pottering around in the evenings last week with making a soft hammer which I finished this weekend by blackening the body and handle - which was really just an excuse to try out the micro forge I had thrown together while waiting for materials for mini forge (propane bottle size).

The hammer
image.jpg

And the forge
image.jpg

Last edited:
This week I added an other tool to my collection.
Its a Power Hack saw.
Its a German Machine a Behringer type KS250HY capable of sawing pieces of Diameter 250 mm (9 1/2") at 90° and Diameter 150 mm ( 6") at 45°.
All I deed for now is clean it a little and Made sure it works.
It only needs a new saw blade.View attachment 96222[/QUOT
Orjo,
Congratulations on buying another fine, powerful machine tool Will be very useful for you
Regards.
Core-Oil

Started on a wine rack for a customer - 102 1.25" dis holes 5* off perpendicular through 3/4"x4" aluminum flat bar. They'll be mirror polished and mounted to the wall vertically to hold bottles horizontally by the neck.image.jpg
I can't imagine ever using a hole saw again after an annular cutter. Plows through and looks like a bored hole.

Back