2015 POTD Thread Archive

Well for the day I worked on buying some stock to try a few different ways of making my torches for my fourge/foundry & started turning parts for them. Packing up my new 6" vice to go back because it is junk. Trying to unjunk the new 4" one by turning the bottom of the locking bolts between the vice & turn table & filling the corners so they don't catch on the rough finish so it will turn. After I got it turning I found the books were to long so I had to turn them shorter also. I also worked on my indexing system for my lathe & enjoyed my two babies until the wife & other three kids got home from school. Them I helped them saddle up the horses to go for a ride & I went back to work on my torches.

I cleaned the rust off of my atlas 618 lathe chuck using electrolysis. It was my first time so it took two tries to get it right, Got it all oiled up, now all I need to do is put it back together. Looks much better as it had an even coat of light rust all over it. One more step to getting it up and going. I also made a cutter to make "ribbons" out of pop bottles. I used the ribbon to tie up some 5160 steel that I bot at a blacksmith event in the "iron in the hat". Just tie it around your steel or whatever and heat it and it gets tight and 5 9/16 bars become one bundle instead of scattered around the shop. Iron in the hat is a fund raiser at blacksmith events that is common in this area. people bring useful things, and you buy tickets and put your name on the ticket and drop them in the hat or whatever, beside the things you want, at a blacksmith event iron is always welcome. Then someone reaches in and picks out a ticket and calls out the name of the person who won.

Today for the first time since my surgery I got something made in the shop
View attachment 100832 View attachment 100833 View attachment 100834
I built a propane burner for the forge I am getting ready to build. I may also be used in a furnace for casting if I build one. Short some pluming to get it hooked up and tuned, so no cool flame photos yet. Not an original idea. and it should be straight forward enough for me not to bore you with details. I will add the orifice is a .025 mig contact tip.
I will add flam pics when I get it hooked up. also I may shoot some video of how it goes together and tuning it.
Mark
Mods. if you think this will help others if placed in casting section let me know or just copy it there, or however you feel.
I built a burner using what appears to be the same pattern and could not get it to burn properly with a .025 mig tip but it burns very well with a .035 mig tip.

I also made a cutter to make "ribbons" out of pop bottles. I used the ribbon to tie up some 5160 steel that I bot at a blacksmith event in the "iron in the hat". Just tie it around your steel or whatever and heat it and it gets tight and 5 9/16 bars become one bundle instead of scattered around the shop.
Neat idea! You can also cut the top and bottom off the bottles and use them as large O.D. heat shrink tubing.

I was told many years ago that if you are " heat shrinking " the drink bottles, you're releasing a lot of carcinogenic particles .

I don't know how true it is today , but this was from a coffee shop franchise manager who forbade his staff to use the steam heaters to shrink the empty bottles to keep the volume of waste down saying it was part of the company's health & safety rules . Perhaps some one with more up todate knowledge can accurately comment .

New Trolley For Garage Door:
If you have a Chamberlain Liftmaster you know what I am talking about. The factory trolley scrapes metal on metal and wears out in a few years. I decided to make my own ball bearing version!

15%2B-%2B1.jpg
Sorry about the blurry image. This is a $30 part and I spent about that on this superior replacement.
R

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told many years ago that if you are " heat shrinking " the drink bottles, you're releasing a lot of carcinogenic particles .

I don't know how true it is today , but this was from a coffee shop franchise manager who forbade his staff to use the steam heaters to shrink the empty bottles to keep the volume of waste down saying it was part of the company's health & safety rules . Perhaps some one with more up todate knowledge can accurately comment .
I don't know anything about that but I don't doubt it at all and would never try to do this to large amounts of bottles. I got 11 feet of ribbon out of one 20 oz bottle after I cut off the bottom and left some at the top, and used less than 2 feet to tie up my steel the other day. In a well vented shop I don't see much problem.

If heat shrinking those bottles is dangerous, the plant that expands then locally would be a mass of cancer plagued disabled people. I think the folks there are happy and look like me and you. The local recycler is running full steam too. Pun intended. And God forbid, we drink out of them! OH, horror! I'm thinking life causes cancer. The EPA and OSHA would shut them all down if there was a hint of a problem. Then we could go back to returnable bottles.

Back