2015 POTD Thread Archive

Ken thanks that is a good point if or when I start casting. And yes this thing can through some heat. I read a post somewhere were the writer said he turns the heat up to heat the forge and then backs down, the thought being better to heat a little slow than to fast. even more so with small or thin parts that will melt off.
Mark

I finished up the trunnions for my 13.1" scope. Need to find the new balance point after installing the new mirror The old mirror is only 5/8" thick while the new one is 1.4" thick but of MUCH better quality.
Pierre
scope.jpg rocker box.jpg

I went to the scrap yard to find some metal. I actually did really well. I found stuff I really didn't expect to find.

Mark ,
Did you try to heat the spike from room temp using both methods ie with & without the shim ?
If you didn't and now do it will you tell us the best timed heating result please?

So David I got more fuel and set up a test. With the shim it took 4:28.73. without the shim it took 4:03.34 pretty close when you consider I had to start the timer and hold the spike, maintain the same distance by site and the spikes could be a bit bigger or smaller, plus other variables 25 sec. is pretty close. this was by eye also. Took the first 2-1/2" to a good bright red with the spike just in the tip of the blue flame.

The fact that this is so close is good I think because once in the furnace with the wool packed around the tube it will not draw air at the back of the flare like it is now. For now I call it good, once in the furnace I will no more. Cut the wholes in both end of the propane tank today and sprayed it with paint remover. I will clean that up tomorrow. Maybe this weekend get some welding done.
Mark

I went to the scrap yard to find some metal. I actually did really well. I found stuff I really didn't expect to find.

Sounds like me, but add to your "I found stuff I really didn't expect to find" or need. Usually take it home regardless, I may need it sometime in the future, surprising how much stuff never gets used, still have it though. Brian

I have that problem also. Seems like stuff just keeps following me home.
Wifey likes to limit my excursions out and about like that. :)

Sounds like me, but add to your "I found stuff I really didn't expect to find" or need. Usually take it home regardless, I may need it sometime in the future, surprising how much stuff never gets used, still have it though. Brian

I actually found a 2" piece of SS round stock, S5, 01, & T1. I found 2 reaming bars not in bad shape. One is carbide tipped the other is the T1.

Good find.
I found a machine shop locally that the owner is trying to get rid of some excess tooling.
I've went back 3 times so far and picked up about 20 reamers from 3/8" to 7/8"
15 End mills 1/2" to 1-1/4" mostly 4 flute with a few carbide 6 flute and 2 of the 2 flute.
3 - 5/8" shank boring bars, some Starrett snap gauges and Mic's.
All together I've maybe spent $80 so far.
He has a crate that's 4'x6'x 24" deep. It was full of reamers, end mills, hole saws and other stuff he picked up somewhere. All good old USA made tooling.
Last month when I was there it was down to about 8" deep of tooling.
I plan on stopping by next week and look for some more goodies.

Back