2017 POTD Thread Archive

Last couple of evenings helping No.1 son put his little Chinese motorbike back together - after finding the parts...
Secondhand exhaust got phosphoric acid treatment to remove rust, bolted back on, cleanup on some cruddy switch contacts and the carburettor (gummed with varnish) now leaving him to drain the stale fuel ready for a fresh tankful.

A lot of work, but less time than driving Dad's taxi for the last several weeks while hunting for parts!

Dave H. (the other one)

Just a short followup to my trestle build. Finally found time to finish the bents and install the cross bracing. The bracing does stiffen each bent significantly. However they are still a little tippy in shear - being bolted through the sills to the foundation with 1/2" cement anchors. Bents are designed to take compression forces, but rock back and forth - pivoting on the 1/2" anchor shaft and the small hex nut at the bottom. So will add some 4"x4" x3/16" plate, rather like a giant washer to each cement anchor atop each sill - 3 per bent - to create some greater bearing surface to hold the bents down hard against the sill timbers.

The longitudinal stringers will stiffen up the whole structure nicely, once I get them laid in and secured with strong ties.

IMG_4376.JPGIMG_4377.JPGIMG_4378.JPGIMG_4382.JPG

The other very important thing to consider, what part of the country are you from, here in new Jersey, when I poor a footing, I have to by code go down 36". When I do work in North Carolina, they are typically only going down a foot or so, and North, in say Vermont or Maine, they are probably going down closers to 48", it varies because of the frost line, or how far down the soil freezes in the winter.

I'm not even sure I should post anymore of my shop renovation pictures now, oh well...
I understand, but like anything else, you have to read many to figure out if there is a consistent problem or not. B4 buying anything at HF I read all the negatives I can, then figure out is the person an idiot or not, did they misuse it, is this a real problem. Sometimes I determine that there's no real problem, sometimes I confirm a problem exists. Same with the advice about good and bad you get as you stated.

I hope you keep posting shop pics. I always love shop pics, as I am always looking to solve organization problems. I hate working in a mess, but often find myself in that predicament. Only to spend a ton of time cleaning up after. Sometimes I work well organized, and it's much better, more work gets done , less time finding where I put something down. The biggest disruptors are when I don't have space to work, because it's a big project, I don't have enough free space to do big projects so everything is squeezed. A simple pic of someone doing something to solve one of my issues is like GOLD.
Anyway, enjoying the shop build.

Last Thursday I began duplicating my Veritas adjustable grinder support. I've no idea of the hours involved, my wife could probably tell me, but I'm not going to ask.

My picture is not really good, shows the Veritas on the left the Shop-Made on the right. I put a piece of CRS on top of the support to eliminate aluminum gall. The Veritas has on top a sliding angle bracket for grinding tool bits, will work on either support.

Grinder support x2.jpg

I like having feedback, especially about machining, carpentry I pretty much have figured out:encourage:
20171016_164419.jpg
That is the exterior, tyvek the top 5 foot, 30 lbs felt paper tucked in under, taped for the bottom 3 foot, than 7/16" durock screwed on. Stone and siding being ordered tomorrow.

20171012_214256.jpg
Water board drywall going on all wall, this part of the shop was very dark, just having the drywall on the walls makes this part of the shop much brighter now.

20171010_190648.jpg
Frp, is following behind the drywall as I get time to glue it up. This should make cleanup alittle easier as well as nice and bright shop to work in

20171012_151540.jpg
This is the last section of wall I will teardown and rebuild this year, 3 windows will go in here, 6" wall, insulated, and than Frp as the other walls. I have another Bay yet to do but will not start it till next year. I have too much already needing to be done before the winter comes in.

I'm not sure that helps anyone else, it's been a fun project, I can't wait to get all the construction done so I can start playing with machines again...
Sorry to anyone offended , stubborn old men...

Last Thursday I began duplicating my Veritas adjustable grinder support. I've no idea of the hours involved, my wife could probably tell me, but I'm not going to ask.

My picture is not really good, shows the Veritas on the left the Shop-Made on the right. I put a piece of CRS on top of the support to eliminate aluminum gall. The Veritas has on top a sliding angle bracket for grinding tool bits, will work on either support.

Almost identical to my situation with a Veritas already mounted on one side and planning on a copy of the Veritas for the other wheel.
Thanks for the nudge.:tranquility:

Richl that is looking nice, you want to dome do some for me. :grin: I hate doing drywall.

What is 'water board drywall'? I've only seen gypsum Sheetrock around the PNW.

The purple color is cool also!

Glenn

:boxing:
What is 'water board drywall'? I've only seen gypsum Sheetrock around the PNW.

The purple color is cool also!

Glenn
Technically it's water and mold resistentient also known as xp, green is water only. I do prefer the purpl/blue look over green .

Back