2017 POTD Thread Archive

Finally got around to making an arbor for my boring head. I need to make 2 more for the lathe, one for radius cutting, and one for taper cutting. Since none of them is regularly done, I won't mind switching the arbor to switch it's purpose.
This one is a 1/2 shank to fit a 1/2 MT2 collet.
Arbor4Boringholder.JPG

Woodchucker- Nice work there. I would like to see more of your uses for the boring head. You should consider a thread with the various arbors and setups. I am wondering how to hold this in my tailstock?

Robert

Seattle area got our first snow fall in 9 years on Christmas Eve. Shut everything down In my shop for a couple of days.

So my boy says: “Hey Dad, lets make a snow man!” Which is what we did. Who can say no when your boy asks you to make a snowman. Even if he is 35.

85D3A4FC-D767-4688-AF10-0E99640E198E.jpeg

Glenn,
What is his hat made of and what is the logo on the side of the truck?

Seattle area got our first snow fall in 9 years on Christmas Eve. Shut everything down In my shop for a couple of days.

So my boy says: “Hey Dad, lets make a snow man!” Which is what we did. Who can say no when your boy asks you to make a snowman. Even if he is 35.
Glen, I usually like the work you do, always top notch. But I gotta tell you, for a machinist, fabricator, I would have expected that snowman to walk and talk. I am so disappointed. Where's the engineering man?;)

Do you have the part number or plate information of that Dayton motor handy to post?

My imported drill press is the first cousin of yours and sometimes I wonder how long the stock motor will last. It's awfully noisy and runs rough, although it was pretty much like that from new. Since I already have a mill with a VFD, I wouldn't consider spending that kind of money on a light, imported drill press, but it's still useful enough that I would buy another single-phase motor for it. When buying another motor, the obvious choice for metal working is to use a slower 1140 rpm motor.

I used a link-belt to help lower the vibration on my drill press.

View attachment 251557

This one "belt" was purchased from Harbor Freight which was enough for the two separate belts. These things stretch quite a bit at first so be prepared to remove a few links the first couple of weeks it's installed.

When I was installing the link belt I discovered that the idler pulley wouldn't move back and forth. It's attached to an arm that is meant to pivot in the headstock casting but mine was rusted fast! I guess they forgot the grease and it rusted-up on the boat ride from China. With some penetrating oil and a pry bar I was able to pop it loose and once cleaned, oiled and re-installed, it moved easily. With the idler free to pivot much of the vibration went away, so that's something to check if you own one of these drill presses.

The part number is Dayton 31TR96. Here's a link to the data sheet for it: https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-1-2-HP-General-Purpose-Motor-31TR96.

I checked eBay and the guy I bought mine from isn't selling any. He might have something else that could be used though: his prices are
usually about half (or better) of retail so you might look at his store: charlepeterso-8. Grainger, Zoro etc. all charge much more for these motors.

I've used link belts before on a table saw I overhauled a few years ago and they're still working fine. Honestly, I didn't even think of using
them the other night: I just bought the same belt I put on the lathe since it seems to work well, and they're cheap. Either option is better
than the "First Rope" brand belts that came with it.

Thanks for the tip on the idler arm. Mine seems to pivot just fine. My DP has always vibrated pretty badly, so I need to fix a pulley mis-
alignment issue, and I'm going to try to balance the pulleys. Hopefully the belts will help as well. The cheap cast pulleys on these things
are kind of wobbly as it its: turning new pulleys from bar stock would be the best solution. When I rebuilt my table saw I bought some
turned steel pulleys and it smoothed the machine out nicely. Maybe some day I'll get ambitious...

Glen, I usually like the work you do, always top notch. But I gotta tell you, for a machinist, fabricator, I would have expected that snowman to walk and talk. I am so disappointed. Where's the engineering man?;)

Jeff, well he did hold on to his hat and nose (a big lump of coal) for two days in the face of a vicious warming spell. They fell out, then he fell over. That’s engineering sorta.

F1C7F88A-0462-4D01-A5BD-03C6E57FD7A6.jpeg

Oh Nobel Sentinal, Fallen in Battle with the Warming Wind. Long shall you be remembered!

Glenn

Last edited:
Glenn,
What is his hat made of and what is the logo on the side of the truck?

Mike,

The hat is a square plastic flower pot, turned upside down. The logo is heraldry for “The
Flying Huskies” - my kid’s University of Washington Husky football alumni tailgate machine. It’s an old retired ambulance he bought surplus from a local fire and rescue org then reconditioned into a camping and football tailgating road warrior. Apparently there is quite a following of ambulance converters around the country who do this sort of thing for a hobby.

Glenn

Back