2017 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks! I'll double-check those specs. with my drill press and keep an eye out for that motor or something similar. When the times comes hopefully I can found a motor on sale, because the list price is $100 more than what I payed for the whole drill press new! :)

Sounds like a good plan. Something will turn up. Notice that the motor is a number 56 frame. It mounted up fine after I realized that the mounting bracket had be unbolted and turned 180 degrees. Yours of course could be different.

I know what you mean about the cost of upgrades. Between the chuck and the motor I've more than doubled the cost of the machine, though I have gotten quite a bit of use out of it.

Finally got around to making an arbor for my boring head. I need to make 2 more for the lathe, one for radius cutting, and one for taper cutting. Since none of them is regularly done, I won't mind switching the arbor to switch it's purpose.
This one is a 1/2 shank to fit a 1/2 MT2 collet.
View attachment 251560
Woodchucker
Very nice job, I did the same for mine and enjoyed having a the tool. If I ever get around to it I am going to make the ball turner parts also.
Happy New Year
Nelson

Woodchucker- Nice work there. I would like to see more of your uses for the boring head. You should consider a thread with the various arbors and setups. I am wondering how to hold this in my tailstock?

Robert
use a morse taper or what ever your tail stock takes

Seattle area got our first snow fall in 9 years on Christmas Eve. Shut everything down In my shop for a couple of days.

So my boy says: “Hey Dad, lets make a snow man!” Which is what we did. Who can say no when your boy asks you to make a snowman. Even if he is 35.

View attachment 252269
Glenn
That is a beautiful sight and it make me glad I live in Florida. I can not take the cold.

If you have one of those popular 20T hydraulic shop presses, you quickly realize what a pain-in-the-butt lifting and lowering the table can be. This press is usually located in a dark corner of a small room (actually an old horse stable) with limited access, so after I almost dropped one of the big arbor plates on my toe I decided it was time for an upgrade. So this summer I added a winch table lift to Big Orange.

HF20press.jpg

It's a HF boat winch with a few garage door pulleys and some scrap angle iron. The winch came with plenty of cable. It's just one cable for both sides, as it's held in place by a bolt through the center of the hub and wound around the winch axle. Obviously the winch just raises and lowers the table, you still need to use the pins.

It was an easy weekend project and well worth the time.

Trying to organize the shop. I don't think I'll ever succeed but I'll keep trying.
Found a couple of gems.
Hung some tarps on the inside of the garage doors trying to retain some heat. We're going get blasted with the cold snap.

Found these in a old Sucrets tin. Too bad I don't have a height gage to go with them. :rolleyes:
1514693042833.png

Hunk of Brass, bronze, I actually can't remember. It was in the cabinet of the Logan.
Perhaps I can find some personal time and build some hammers.
1514693079048.png

I do believe it's time to quit picking up pulleys. . . three boxes worth, married up. :grin:
1514693113670.png

If you have one of those popular 20T hydraulic shop presses, you quickly realize what a pain-in-the-butt lifting and lowering the table can be. This press is usually located in a dark corner of a small room (actually an old horse stable) with limited access, so after I almost dropped one of the big arbor plates on my toe I decided it was time for an upgrade. So this summer I added a winch table lift to Big Orange.

View attachment 252508

It's a HF boat winch with a few garage door pulleys and some scrap angle iron. The winch came with plenty of cable. It's just one cable for both sides, as it's held in place by a bolt through the center of the hub and wound around the winch axle. Obviously the winch just raises and lowers the table, you still need to use the pins.

It was an easy weekend project and well worth the time.

I have the same press and did sort of the same thing you did--it's a great help for old muscles.
Mine is no where as nice--I just used a section of pipe with a handle and some cable just running over some round stock on the sides. Yes I am a hack and use what I have handy.:grin:

After the amount of ale I have consumed throughout the festivities I feel I must award myself a very large jar of fig jam.
My compressor decided to quit in the middle of a job yesterday.
After a lot of searching I found the problem was a torn diaphragm in the safety pressure switch.
What to replace it with as its the holiday season and everything is closed?
Ahh, a bicycle inner tube just laying there causing no trouble to everyone.
I made a tool to cut nice round holes in a double layer of inner tube and replaced the old torn one.
Whoo Hoo, it worked and hold the pressure way better than the old one so I must deduce that it was leaking for ages.
Do I classify this as a zero cost repair or do I cost my time at current tradie costs of $100 per hour.
So its either zero dollars or a $400 dollar repair.

After the amount of ale I have consumed throughout the festivities I feel I must award myself a very large jar of fig jam.
My compressor decided to quit in the middle of a job yesterday.
After a lot of searching I found the problem was a torn diaphragm in the safety pressure switch.
What to replace it with as its the holiday season and everything is closed?
Ahh, a bicycle inner tube just laying there causing no trouble to everyone.
I made a tool to cut nice round holes in a double layer of inner tube and replaced the old torn one.
Whoo Hoo, it worked and hold the pressure way better than the old one so I must deduce that it was leaking for ages.
Do I classify this as a zero cost repair or do I cost my time at current tradie costs of $100 per hour.
So its either zero dollars or a $400 dollar repair.
Should it not be figured @ the Premium Holiday Rate "it is, after all between Christmas & New Year's" ?
If I had to perform repairs on mine I'd be in a bit of a pickle - when we first moved in I positioned against the wall behind the Index Mill.
Not too bright. Most times I wish it were outside the shop in a shed. The noise is starting to get to me.

Back