2017 POTD Thread Archive

Finally decide to get my tools out of the chip pan:

33777241365_ea1b757c95_h.jpg

Robert

Nice job Robert! I had to chuckle, if I had a nickel for every time I wiped chips and oil off a tool..... This goes on my list.

--Chip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this idea thanks.
Did you just drill out the valve?

Yes, used a 16mm drill with cylinder hold on lathe chuck. And welded the other side valve. That's why I had to paint the bottle.

Please elucidate. Why? Maybe I need to do that and haven't realized it yet?
Assuming the thinner is commonly supplied in some container (not "bring your own"), what are the advantages of using the MAPP cylinder?
Small orifice would be more time consuming to refill. My standard "as furnished" containers seem to hold up well.
"Just because" is an acceptable reason but not . . . Flustered :confused 2: :confusion:

Because here in Brazil, Thinner is sold on cans that doesn't seal well after opened first time :mad:.

I fixed your Red X. Please refer to this post How To post Pics using Tapatalk for future posts. The staff thanks you.

Thanks! Doesn't use Tapatalk but will try this next time.

Glued the barrel up using hose clamps, then hand plane and spoke shave to round it out.
Qp2dQG3sUDVadoEbJFMuhAVmwRivYVEzDEI7kwgTYgFJ6D1bT2TNCSlYFrU5GsimLaxwt6HKG94UWgjiP5fURdGnkO3evCzLEabJoMgFLtfjCZqb_7D5E-6pdVPWnyD-G5SvMyP5EKvpF-RFl0uRPL_KeCOQwY-rcHODYPna3FJCK-drmScxtDK0wmKpVP833DEJuOcCpEpCtYJDKHG46JYFzyTw7hwIXVy7tOLTiJr1PxtGTCPM45Am-GchjWq0JIH4ct0f3zhm4oLgA-7nmJJuFcKNTdOeRvhkSdZqko5adcs_Nwqqg5oVZ9UiqDL-mtwRk7cpIOTlLjJXqET9eliGXaF5tSqw5OOJaXSW6pTfoCH2FQNIDirG_OhjUGjxduU3DVNS9Z3H_60ORRc8HfB1c4WmoS-PYmQa26mbU_1bDIMNJOq8ROnAj1DxQC-DYeOebY5v4oWYkS18wGOyo0q7un1K_BanrHyb7VSckA4lrxERYOIAo1Di3k_aIz2dkwuvcEsmutUN0MCA6AGW-PeEOHomoykRPuqtFBfQCiC7Dec83p1Hk8x_428IN8FZcIDpww8R6U-KzhHgFyPwhWG6e_PpljqMydnfJceFJnNJzh9gKWtR=w957-h1276-no

Greg

Nice job on the barrel.
So what are going to use the Barrel for?
You making some homemade alcohol?

Looks like it was turned on a lathe. Nice work

Randy

Finished up a spider for the outboard spindle of the ERL-1340. I'd like to make an inner sleeve to protect the threads inside the end of the spindle (presumably for a collet closer), but haven't figured out how to measure them. They're buried about 3" deep inside the spindle, so I can't readily access them with a thread gage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

IMG_20170403_234146.jpg

IMG_20170403_234214.jpg

The ID of you lathe spindle is threaded? That's a new one on me. If you think the threads are intended to mate with a collet, why not try a 5C. How would you "draw up" the collet?

Alternatively, there are molding compounds available for this sort of thing. Pour in the compound, remove when cured, measure the molded "mate". The links are good places to start looking. Many options. The stuff may seem a bit spendy. Maybe someone has a low cost home brew alternative.

http://www.reprorubber.com/applications.asp

https://www.mcmaster.com/#molding-compounds/=171pg2d

....., but haven't figured out how to measure them. They're buried about 3" deep inside the spindle, so I can't readily access them with a thread gage.
Maybe use something like "play dough" (?) Or what it may be called in your part of the world...
The most important measurement is tpi, diameter shouldn't be a problem I think, the rest is take it slow and try as you go
Maybe use a tap with the measured tpi as a gauge to verify?

Good luck!
Peter

Back