2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hatz1.jpg
Picked up this Deutz 3 cylinder air cooled diesel for $120. Two shots of either and she fired right up. Well..ran a little rough for a minute. Noisy as hell; just a straight-pipe. Staying up at night thinking about what I could make with it. Already have 3 mobile welders; (one's there in the background) maybe an air compressor or a/c generator or sawmill.

View attachment 230577
Picked up this Deutz 3 cylinder air cooled diesel for $120. Two shots of either and she fired right up. Well..ran a little rough for a minute. Noisy as hell; just a straight-pipe. Staying up at night thinking about what I could make with it. Already have 3 mobile welders; (one's there in the background) maybe an air compressor or a/c generator or sawmill.
I can't believe you only paid $120, I see a nice A/C generator in its future.

20170330_201348_zpsghb3xrxz.jpg

New bandsaw!

View attachment 230577
A friend of mine uses an Isuzu diesel to power his bowl lathe. Think outside the box.
Dave

silver bullet- best wishes- I know what you are going through, been there. Surgery in 02 after 2 years of pain from a work accident in 2ooo. It bothers me to this day but its something I have learned to live with. Two hip replacements after the back surgery and just found out my bladder is full of tumors. Not looking for sympathy or minimizing your situation. The best advice I can give you is to stick with your physical therapy exercises after you get it under control. And stay busy and positive. Get your mind off of it. It will consume you if you let it. Cant work in the shop? Start drawing or designing what you would like to build or do when you feel better. And you will. Learn something new about your hobby . The mental aspect of what you are going through is as important as the medical. Let me know how things are going, there are more of us out there dealing with this sort of thing than you would think, Didnt mean to steer this thing away from the main topic but thought I should throw in my take on this. I bought an AAMCO shaper a year ago that needed a bull gear and I just installed it tonight and it runs great! now the real fun begins!

Got my TMX collet chuck with D1-4 mount.

I'll be real curious to hear how that works out. There seems to be a hierarchy of these collet chucks, with PBA at the top around $1,500, Bison and Gator at around $650, TMX & Shars around $350, and various eBay importers at $170. Specs on all of them are very similar, and it's not at all clear what, if anything, you're getting for the higher prices.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'll be real curious to hear how that works out. There seems to be a hierarchy of these collet chucks, with PBA at the top around $1,500, Bison and Gator at around $650, TMX & Shars around $350, and various eBay importers at $170. Specs on all of them are very similar, and it's not at all clear what, if anything, you're getting for the higher prices.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Same here. As you all know TMX is the US importer for Bison. Some of TMX tools were actually the same as Bison at one time, same part numbering system too.

A couple of years I ago I bought a TMX 3-jaw chuck. Big mistake, made In China, absolute junk. I sent it back. Then last year I noticed all TMX chucks were no longer available & they said their chuck manufacturing was being moved to Poland. Guess they realized too. That TMX 5C chuck sure does look like it's made by the same factory as Bison.

Got me another Dumore tool post grinder today. I already scored one years ago but I just had to buy another one today.

So I already have a Dumore 14 which is their smallest tool post grinder. Nicknamed the Tom Thumb (whatever that means), it's only 1/14 HP! Meant for up to 7" lathes so it's a bit small for my 12" lathe. No problem I thought, wasn't plan on grinding anything big anyway.

The Dumore I got today was listed for $250 a week ago. Looked clean & thought it was a good price. I was going to buy it & then thought, why waste my money, I already have one & I just bought brand new bearings for it. So today I'm at the doctor's office waiting, I get bored & ended up looking on Craigslist. Saw the very same Dumore listed for $150 now. I text the seller asking if he still had it for $150. He said yes. Checked my wallet for cash, made arrangements, & as soon as I left the doctor's I went straight to the guy's house to pick it up!

It's a Dumore 44 which is the correct size for my lathe, 8"-14" lathes, 1/4 HP. And this one can use 1/4" shanks as well as 1/8" shanks. My baby Dumore can only use 1/8". Now I gotta place another order with Dumore for new bearings, brushes, & maybe new a belt. It sounds pretty good but I think I'll give it a tune up anyway. :)

EDIT: Scratch that, guess I won't be buying bearings from Dumore. The spindle bearings cost $200 ea! The bearings for the baby Dumore that I got from them were cheap.

Img_2193.jpg

Img_2205.jpg

Your price for a Bison must not be for a set-tru? If it is, it doesn't include the mounting plate. You are waaay off on the TMX, must be their older Chinese version. The TMX is made is Poland now and is the same as the Bison.

Same here. As you all know TMX is the US importer for Bison. Some of TMX tools were actually the same as Bison at one time, same part numbering system too.

A couple of years I ago I bought a TMX 3-jaw chuck. Big mistake, made In China, absolute junk. I sent it back. Then last year I noticed all TMX chucks were no longer available & they said their chuck manufacturing was being moved to Poland. Guess they realized too. That TMX 5C chuck sure does look like it's made by the same factory as Bison.

Will, yes the TMX is made in Poland now and is the same as the Bison. I confirmed this with Toolmex. It has a corresponding price, albeit a bit cheaper than the Bison. I bought mine through Matt at QMT based on his recommendation. I did mount it on my PM1340GT and dial it in using the set-tru and the run out appears to be almost nil. I have a .0005" resolution indicator and I got it quickly to where it was showing almost no movement. I will post a separate thread on it in a week or so after I use it a bit and get through some commitments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back