2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Eagle Has Landed :grin:

We ordered a milling machine and they sent us a boiler ;)
1522499419757.png
OK, we found the mill, it was hiding under a tarp. :)
1522499551702.png

Another workout for ''Big Orange''. Glad we live on a low traffic country road. No traffic at all during the 5 minute lift, had both lanes blocked. Had to borrow the neighbors driveway to pick it from the back.

1522499995660.png

Off of the truck
1522503358862.png

Homeward bound. Slow and easy. Had to use fork extensions.. I really wasn't very comfortable with that, but the front of the machine is pretty light, and the total weight is only about 5000 lbs. Most of the bulk is just sheet metal enclosure, the frame itself is only a bit larger than a BP.

1522500370658.png

Here is it's new home, a large hole that needs to be filled with something. That's where the router used to sit.
1522502862164.png

In the shop, finally. :faint: It was trying to slide to the left a bit, not sure why, but we made it. :cautious:

1522500851301.png

This is where we set it down to get it rigged for the next lift. Haas provides lifting points for a top lift so in order to get it into position we will use those, couldn't really do that to get it off of the truck. (BTW, the lathe on the left is almost ready to run :) )

1522501037628.png

This pic shows the rigging for the lift, with the tension off, we were a bit busy while it was in the air so didn't get any pics. We really had to keep it tight, there was about 1 inch clearance between the forklift backstop and the roof truss, pretty tight. :eek: Lifting on a truck axle laid across the forks and through the swivel eye ring. The spreader is a 4 inch square x 1/4 wall tube. Hass provides a drawing of the spreader dimensions to get the balance correct. The come-alongs were carrying <2000 lbs between them. We had to pick it up and spin it around 180°, but the swivel hook made that easy.
1522501699335.png

Another view of the rigging.
1522502263580.png

And here it is sitting in it's new home. It has 3 feet clearance around the back and right side.
1522502435259.png

We'll get it wired in today (Saturday), should be making chips by Monday. :)

1522502124218.png

Last edited:
The Eagle Has Landed :grin:

We ordered a milling machine and they sent us a boiler ;)
View attachment 263810
OK, we found the mill, it was hiding under a tarp. :)
View attachment 263812

Another workout for ''Big Orange''. Glad we live on a low traffic country road. No traffic at all during the 5 minute lift, had both lanes blocked. Had to borrow the neighbors driveway to pick it from the back.

View attachment 263813

Off of the truck
View attachment 263823

Homeward bound. Slow and easy. Has to use fork extensions.. I really wasn't very comfortable with that, but the front of the machine is pretty light, and the total weight is only about 5000 lbs. Most of the bulk is just sheet metal enclosure, the frame itself is only a bit larger than a BP.

View attachment 263814

Here is it's new home, a large hole that needs to be filled with something. That's where the router used to sit.
View attachment 263822

In the shop, finally. :faint: It was trying to slid to the left a bit, not sure why, but we made it. :cautious:

View attachment 263815

This is where we set it down to get it rigged for the next lift. Haas provides lifting points for a top lift so in order to get it into position we will use those, couldn't really do that to get it off of the truck. (BTW, the lathe on the left is almost ready to run :) )

View attachment 263816

This pic shows the rigging for the lift, with the tension off, we were a bit busy while it was in the air so didn't get any pics. We really had to keep it tight, there was about 1 inch clearance between the forklift backstop and the roof truss, pretty tight. :eek: Lifting on a truck axle laid across the forks and through the swivel eye ring. The spreader is a 4 inch square x 1/4 wall tube. Hass provides a drawing of the spreader dimensions to get the balance correct. The come-alongs were carrying <2000 lbs between them. We had to pick it up and spin it around 180°, but the swivel hook made that easy.
View attachment 263818

Another view of the rigging.
View attachment 263820

And here it is sitting in it's new home. It has 3 feet clearance around the back and right side.
View attachment 263821

We'll get it wired in today (Saturday), should be making chips by Monday. :)

That's one nice machine! Any specific plans for it or just something to have?

Did a little more shopping today, picked up 59 endmills from 1 1/4 inch down to 1/8 inch, including a set of corner rounders and a bunch of cobalt roughers, all new and name brand. And about 30 reamers. All for $250, it was one of those deals I couldn't pass up.

Edit: I should note that this was paid for by the 7500 lbs of scrap metal that we took to the scrap yard. A good trade in my book. :)
1522539256905.png

Last edited:
Wow Jim, wish I could find a deal like that. Nice haul!

Today i visited couple flea markets, it's been sometime since i've bought anything from there, i did a lot walking and looking but there wasn't too many tools, but did managed to find this threading die holder with M25x1,5 die, unusual size but may come in handy, made a package deal with the threading tap which i did not realize is left thread until i got it in my shop, also bought two sets of screw drivers one for each garage.
DSC_0098.JPGDSC_0103.JPG

It was a little ago but it’s just getting running now and still needs lots more work but I bought a small vmc. Also have been purchasing lots of tooling for it.
274b0eaf45f5117ea92fa94a80770173.jpg
a06d26016419437b9f7f8de41e709c47.jpg

13 hr road trip last Tuesday yielded this gem...

IMG_3347.JPG

As far as I can tell, no major problems (cracks or JB weld repairs). Has a fair amount of backlash, but that can be minimized. Also came with a vertical milling attachment with it's own 1/2HP motor...

IMG_3351.JPG
I've been looking for one of these mills for about 2 years now. This one popped up on Maine CL about two weeks ago and I jumped all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back