2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slowly over the past month i've been buying hydraulic parts and have ask around for a big hydraulic cylinder wanting to build a big shop press, late last night i got a call from a scrapyard owner."I good cylinder just come in, come and get it", knowing that this guy doesn't keep anything for more than a day, i went straight away, the cylinder is a stabilizer for a crane of some kind, i wanted a bit thicker cylinder so i won't have to run higher pressures but for that price is perfect, not a bad deal at 12$.
DSC_0008.JPG

I've always got to hit the Yard whenever I'm in Wichita. If for nothing else than just to stock up on some aluminum drop pieces and spend an hour going through the aisles of surplus/used tools.

I've always got to hit the Yard whenever I'm in Wichita. If for nothing else than just to stock up on some aluminum drop pieces and spend an hour going through the aisles of surplus/used tools.
They have 2 big mill vices in there now if anyone needs one. They are asking $250 a piece. Both are in great shape.

I picked up one of the pieces of Leather they use to make the seats. It was the size of a full hide. Wife made me a Welding apron out of it. It goes from my neck to tops of my boots. Had enough left over to make one half size.

I picked up one of the pieces of Leather they use to make the seats. It was the size of a full hide. Wife made me a Welding apron out of it. It goes from my neck to tops of my boots. Had enough left over to make one half size.
Maybe us Kansans should start a thread "what we bought at the yard today"!

I found that if you buy large quantities of Aluminum, you can get a better price on it. Bought enough 2 years ago to last me for quite a while.
Bought a mix of Flat, round, angle, channel, just about everything they sell.
For those that are wondering.
http://www.theyardwichita.com/

How long is that thing? Now I think that you need something in-between or maybe 2 in-between
I have an 18" Mitutoyo that doesn't get a lot of use because its just too long.
I guess its all about what you're measuring.
Congrats!

How long is that thing? Now I think that you need something in-between or maybe 2 in-between
I have an 18" Mitutoyo that doesn't get a lot of use because its just too long.
I guess its all about what you're measuring.
Congrats!

Your probably right :). I sometimes get aluminum stock on my mill that may get up to 14" in length, but not very often. I was originally going to get a 18" caliper, but I did not want to put myself in the position where I had to measure something that was long and I just did not have the length. So, I got a 24" caliper. One pet project that I have is a amateur built helicopter and I could see measurements for flight controls or things like that which would benefit from the length.

Yes I did pick it up and say "ya know, 24" is a little longer than I remember it :eek 2:".

I have a 24 inch dial calliper, it gets used fairly often. On the digital, how do you switch from inside to outside jaws? On my dial one there are two scales on the beam, reading the wrong one caught me a couple of times.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back