2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 24 inch dial calliper, it gets used fairly often. On the digital, how do you switch from inside to outside jaws? On my dial one there are two scales on the beam, reading the wrong one caught me a couple of times.

Greg
I don't think this one has a way to offset the measurement from inside to outside. It does have a laser etched spot that says 0.8" on the jaws. So I guess they figure I can just add .800 to whatever my internal measurements are.

I’ve been on a bit of eBay frenzy. First off, another inside mike. I’d forgotten I’d bid on this and was surprised when I won it. It had no box, so I bought a small plastic box with cubed foam to put it in
42D75B4E-D5E6-4B14-8E9B-00349B70194F.jpeg
Next is a combimike - got to wait for it to arrive from the sunny shores of Florida though.
FAB75923-9AC3-40DF-873C-9BB5EB5EE971.jpeg
Finally, a 12inch Moore and Wright engineers level. This is in Blighty, so I should have it soon (maybe tomorrow, as it’s been sent priority / 1st class mail.
783D04E3-3CCE-469E-B4C6-F84828C1226A.jpeg

I also bought another couple of cases for a digital mike and my depth mike which (like most of my tools) are second hand, and was missing the boxes. These things are great, and not too expensive on Amazon.
21CDA7FC-4DB7-4322-9E16-37F7C2F115F2.jpeg

And lastly, a Kurt D40 with a nice work stop. I put my .0001 indicator on there and then I clamped the part down, I could not see the needle move :grin:. I have used a BP 6" since I got into the hobby machining about three years ago, so this is a real treat for me :D.

vice1.jpg

vice2.jpg

vice3.jpg

Last edited:
Got the final stuff for the surface grinder. I figured for the fifty bucks I saved so much from the rest of the rebuild I mind as well put a new rack and gear on the table to make as smooth as possible.
My leadscrew bellows were dry rotted so I needed new ones. I took a chance and bought these two dollar bellows versus the forty dollars a pc. Same dimensions just cheaper and took two weeks to get here. 6B011D85-0A80-4E45-89F0-40347769491C.jpeg

I got one more phone call from the same scrapyard owner that i bought the hydraulic cylinder, he had one more identical cylinder so i bought it also it was 2kg lighter, the first one had couple of fitings and pipes so the new cilinder was only 10 euros. Having a spare is never a bad thing, i'll start a project thread in the shop press section.
DSC_0155.JPG

Got the final stuff for the surface grinder. I figured for the fifty bucks I saved so much from the rest of the rebuild I mind as well put a new rack and gear on the table to make as smooth as possible.
My leadscrew bellows were dry rotted so I needed new ones. I took a chance and bought these two dollar bellows versus the forty dollars a pc. Same dimensions just cheaper and took two weeks to get here. View attachment 266740
Can I ask where you sourced your bellows? I'll need some for my SG as it comes back together.

Thanks

Can I ask where you sourced your bellows? I'll need some for my SG as it comes back together.

Thanks
Of course! I had read of a fella using inner tubes from a bicycle. That made me think of the bellows they put on the front shocks on mountain bikes. These were the closest to my mounting diameter which is 1.125 x8” long. Here’s a pic of seller and part info for eBay CAE8A568-95AC-49A4-88B1-414536C9F56C.png

Used Starrett Punches
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

6" OD, I checked this on my surface plate and its accurate to around -.0002 except in one little spot with scratch that will stone right out....
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
My HyperTherm 30 was literally not cutting it for thicker metal. Gaspro/Airgas had their welding show, and I stepped up to a Hypertherm PowerMax 45 XP. I just got it home, put together, and made a cut. This was with slippers, and shorts, I stood way back, so the cut is not that great, but I like the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back