2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a number of the #250-101XL, oversized AXA QCTP blocks, designed to hold up to 5/8” shanked tools, from Quality Machine Tools. I was impressed with QMT’s speed in filling the order, about 3 days from order to delivery, its not QMT fault as they sell a finished product, but the block is nothing special, its the same block block, I could buy from CDCO for $5 less, just opened up .050” more than the standard #250-101 block. I was expecting the block, with the XL nomenclature, to be taller, thicker or wider, but its identical to the standard block. I’ve done many in the past (over 250 blocks), it takes about 5 minutes to open the block up to take a 5/8” (16 mm) tool and only a few minutes more to open them up to hold a 3/4” (19 mm) shanked tool. They also had the same crappy set screws. It’s not a terrible piece, to me, just not worth the extra cost.

Today, I ordered the X, Y and Z power feeds for my Rockwell 21-100 milling machine, I bought the standard Bridgeport/clone units, so I assume the adaption to the Rockwell, could be to be extensive adventure.

I can't believe how long it has taken me to get a 3d printer. I have a Tevo Tornado on the way...... Finally!

s-l1600.jpg

Bought last week and arrived on Thursday, been wanting one for years/decades...

OTC Accutig 300P.jpg

A Japanese Daihen OTC AVP300 Accutig inverter, I've spotted slightly older ones selling for £ouch in the far east, this was less than my last meal out with the kids!*

It's 3-phase and "untested, spares or repair" from a reputable welder dealership and was taken as part-exchange on new equipment for a factory (one of about a dozen) - if it needs repair I'm a pretty competent electronics tech...

My phase converter will run it up to about 240 -250 A (if I had proper 3-phase it's capable of a bit over 300 A on AC and DC), which means a water-cooled torch is a good idea (a WP18 and long cables/hoses came from EvilBay too), I'm part-way though building a torch cooler, I'll post as a project eventually.

Some of the Bits from the World's Best Skip to start on the cooler:

cooler and fans scaled.jpg
Radiator from a water-cooler for Science, pair of 220V fans.

And a case from the same low-cost source, narrowed by 6" to match the width of the welder with most of the parts for a guesstimate-fit, the stainless pan holds 7 quarts and was thrown guess-where when the canteen was refurbished :)

DSCN6679.JPG

I need some parts still, so EvilBay will be getting / has had orders for things like QDs for the hoses, meters for the front panel, a warning light or two? Half way through putting together a board to monitor flow rate, return water temperature, and set off a screaming buzzer if it goes wrong...

Still need to get a bottle and regulator, but there's a reasonable deal on rental and refills from a place a few miles away, I shopped around and if I used slightly more than a 20L x 200Bar bottle per year it's cheaper (in the UK) to rent and get cheaper refills than to go rent-free with the hefty deposit and refills at twice the price. How does it work elsewhere, I know that some on mainland Europe have trouble and expense obtaining welding gases?

Dave H. (the other one)

* Damn, that boy must have hollow legs...

How does it work elsewhere, I know that some on mainland Europe have trouble and expense obtaining welding gases?

Here in Macedonia, we have two ways, you can buy a bottle around 100 euros and just pay for the gas which is being sold by Kg and the bottles are exchanged, or you can rent a bottle just pay for the gas but you must return the bottle in 12 months.

Visited with a friend I went through police academy with.told him I was making a knife.he asked if I wanted a anvil..YES..its in good shape..Cresent brand..weight is 10 stones.heaviest 140 pounds I ever picked up..gonna clean it up.mount and use it..image.jpeg

Everybody needs something to hammer on. Congrats! Looks like a winner. I’ve always wanted one, but never found one around here for a decent price.

I've been looking for awhile.sellers want more than I can pay..then a friend gives me one..he had two..I felt kinda guilty taking it so I gave him a Sightron mil dot scope I had in truck..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back