2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today (actually last Friday and yesterday) I "bought" a 5 ton AC unit for my shop. It's a 16.25 SEER and amazingly quiet. The previous owner of the property had large swamp coolers in two of the windows. But I'd decided not to use them - the added moisture wouldn't play nicely with machine tools, and they couldn't be used for heating in the (brief) winters we do have here in the Phoenix area. The shop is still in "recently moved-in chaos" mode, though I really am making progress. In case you're wondering, the chains dangling from the ceiling will eventually hold two full length Unistruts that will allow me to drape power cords overhead instead of underfoot.

Now I can spend comfortable time out there during the day ...
Before: :devil: After: :chill out:

Installation of the big duct:
kHPIM5398.jpg

Compressor:
HPIM5419.JPG

Air handler, in "attic" above office area:
kHPIM5410.jpg

The big duct:
kHPIM5413.jpgkHPIM5417.jpg

Last edited:
Few days ago i visited a junkyard and there was a big air tank, i commented about it in another thread and got some good ideas how to make sure if is safe to be used. It was a big struggle transporting the tank home as it will not fit inside my car, so after borrowing a van i managed to bring it, the tank got few more dents then i remember first time i seen it wich don't bother me, but the ugly welded on feet do bother me and i found a hole where who ever welded the feet burn thru, this was disappointing, but since then i talked to couple of old time mechanics who have been working with compressors for over 40 years and they told me is not a big deal. That air tanks can be welded, as is not a high pressure but they need to be tested after worth. So there is hope for this 400 litre tank, the size is perfect for my needs, now it is also added to my list of future projects.
DSC_0270.JPG
DSC_0275.JPGDSC_0277.JPG

Picked up a new Greenfield/Cleveland Counterbore Set C91750 for $45, just happen to find this set on eBay and was the only bidder. When I checked the same set at MSC, it sells for $701 and Granger wants $878. OMG they must be smoking something o_O, nice to have but not at that price. I do a lot of counterbored holes and often use an end mill to cut the square shoulders, so these will be nice to have. Now to try to find a metric set at a reasonable price.
Greenfield Industries Counterbore Set EDP  C91750.jpg

GroceKU -
Call me paranoid ... but I'd advise a HUGE measure of caution with that tank. Somebody scabbed the legs on to what was originally a horizontal tank, and as you said, they did an ugly job. OK, it might pass a pressure test today. But the pressure cycling the tank would undergo in normal use would continue to stress (flex?) the welds, and might eventually cause one to fail. Not a pretty prospect. OK, the "old time mechanics" reassured you. But if at all possible, I'd suggest keeping the tank outside of your normal working area, with a sturdy wall between.

GroceKU -
Call me paranoid ... but I'd advise a HUGE measure of caution with that tank. Somebody scabbed the legs on to what was originally a horizontal tank, and as you said, they did an ugly job. OK, it might pass a pressure test today. But the pressure cycling the tank would undergo in normal use would continue to stress (flex?) the welds, and might eventually cause one to fail. Not a pretty prospect. OK, the "old time mechanics" reassured you. But if at all possible, I'd suggest keeping the tank outside of your normal working area, with a sturdy wall between.

John, i sure appreciate your concern, this post was already long to mention, i have a sheet metal shed in between both my concrete houses, in which i plan to store this tank, air compressor and generator so if worst comes to be i'll be safe.

I received in the post today a package from Ebay ordered a couple of days ago. A lot of five double ended solid carbide 3/8 endmills, six flute with about a 3/64 radius. Total cost $30.00. that's $3.00 per cutter. In the ad they showed a picture of a stack of them,, had to be hundreds of them. They were offered as unused, I can see no evidence of use. For my PM25, they will be the go-to end mills for almost everything, aside from tiny work. If you're looking for cutters for your smaller hobby mills, I'd suggest stocking up on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back