2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today i went tools shopping, lately i've been doing rust repair on vehicle and spent too much time and money on cutting discs, so i went looking for sheet metal shears, wanted an older set because i don't use it often and they seam to be build better, i found this rusty one on a flea market at a reasonable price, also there i bought this steering wheel it is from a 90's lada and is in better condition then the one i have on my Lada, and last thing i bought wore those crimping pliers for thicker cables, i plan on adding a removable winch on the little 4x4 so those will get some use on the relay panel. It turn out to be a very good day shopping.
IMG_20181028_092921.jpgIMG_20181028_092916.jpgIMG_20181028_093027.jpgIMG_20181028_093611_1.jpgIMG_20181028_093605.jpg

Today i pass by two machinery dealers to check if they have something new or something worth buying, and first thing i bought was this bench grinder stone dresser, i have couple already but this one is new and really good quality, next tool i spotted was this 50-75mm micrometer, good condition, at first he was asking too much but he came down to a reasonable price. At the second dealer there was some mixed boxes in which i found those two towing hooks, rated at 10 t each, and two pulleys for towing, those should come in handy for the little 4x4 i'm working on. Good trip some nice tools for the machine shop and for the current project i'm fixing.
IMG_20181028_093157.jpgIMG_20181028_093340.jpgIMG_20181028_093510.jpg

Haha yea I feel you. Well I’ll be going on a deployment in a bit more that 6 months so hopefully he either gets rid of them sooner or decides to wait a couple years.

I talked to Jason today and told him you were interested in the 3016's. At least he knows your interested and hopefully will keep you in mind.

I talked to Jason today and told him you were interested in the 3016's. At least he knows your interested and hopefully will keep you in mind.

I appreciate it hopefully he’ll let me know when the time comes. I’m gonna be picking up a Fadal 4020 in a couple weeks I think. So hopefully that works out. Probably gonna cost me what both of those machine cost and the machine is very old.

I hope it works out for you too. I wish you could have gotten the 4020 from my work, it's a rock. In 8 years I don't ever remember anything going wrong with it other than a belt replacement. I keep a log of machine repairs and belts was it for that machine.

I went to a garage/shop sale over the weekend originally for some drawer cabinets. Ended up looking around and once again being astounded. The shop was in the industrial area and was a stop action studio(think Gumby) and they had TONS of what I call "shiny stuff". Things that are so cool(p and one off(and cheap especially compared to new) I just couldn't pass them up. I bought 3 metal drawer cabinets for $30ea. But they had all these custom fixtures made by Ron Dexter.

The big black unit is some kind of platform for a camera that has DRO sensors in it along with a chain drive and worm gear reduction to move the platform incrementally. I think it mostly aluminum but still really heavy. $20! There's a really nicely machined aluminum V block, a small hardened steel V way, a linear bearing guide and mount, a cool little electrical drive and weird clamp. $30. I don't have specific projects for them yet, but they were too unique and cool to pass up! The whole place was chock full of weird and cool stuff.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got a nice, complete set of keyway broaches from the auction site for $116 delivered.
Also got a HF band saw. Don't know why I didn't get one sooner...
cf53cc401ec1ba4f02c78562eb9ed1cc.jpg
39c77d20363fcc13c2c15764d932b36d.jpg

(from mobile)

Today i bought some second hand Van wheels for the little Niva, they have decent thread, and the rims are heavy duty 7mm thick, i'll need to make spacers or modify them to fit over the 98mm wheel hub on the Niva, good condition wheels for cheap, not bad.
IMG_20181031_183105.jpgIMG_20181031_183110.jpg

They got one of the Brothers put together and running today. Turns out I will be learning how to run it. They tried teaching one of my coworkers but I overheard the guy doing the training telling my boss that he has the IQ of a turnip. So along with running 3 other machines I'm going to run and supervise the Brothers. These things are very complicated. There are some handy things it can do, but it's hard to find them when you are used to an older control.

We had to make 3" risers for the vises, and we tried to touch the tools off the presetter but we are also having to make risers for them.

I'm gonna have my hands full from now on :(

20181030_155545.jpg
20181031_115829.jpg
20181031_115844.jpg
20181031_115852.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back