2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy? I know him well, he likes to hang out here for weeks on end. Just when I think he is gone for good, he shows up again.

Last week I bought a slide rule, this week I got this. At least I know how this works.

It is a 1958 Dodge W500 fire engine built for the US Forest Service. There is a good possibility it came from the fire station where I retired as an engine captain last year. Probably too big for the Sherline to tackle. :)

1958 Dodge Model 56.jpg

I have four guards to make for a couple of machines. At work we had a Makita shear to cut all the curves in sheet metal .At the price of them, I could almost get a plasma cutter . Cutting sheet metal with torch isn't easy if you want a good line.
Now you need to go to Harbor F. Their sheet metal shears are just as good as Milwalkee's, just a little bulkier.

Princess Auto, like Harbor F, had some on sale a while back, but they were the double cut that leaves a curl behind. I like the Makita ones. B&D had one like that as well.

Last week I bought a slide rule, this week I got this ... a 1958 Dodge W500 fire engine built for the US Forest Service.
In all likelihood, the slipstick and the truck are the same vintage. Obviously, you're living in the past :)

My engine builder lives in Laytonville, I'm sure you guys were in the nervous zone with the fires.

"basement lathe"? Did you buy it from a cellar, rather than a seller? :)
Actually looks nice ... reverse tumbler and everything. Is that am MT1 taper at the tailstock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back