2018 POTD Thread Archive

Today i did little cleaning of the machine shop and i did test the electric motors i bought couple weeks back, they both work, had to wire them different because one was wired for 3 phase other was for single phase, only took picture of the last one but i did test both of them.
IMG_20180925_195435.jpg

Made some handles and the stubs for the bar that holds the ramps upright. Remembered this time to not try to bend it on the edge of the vise, but instead use a radius the thickness of the bar, so i made a little jig to make it so they all were the same size and used the right inner radius (in the image just to the right of the handles). They turned out reasonably similar, much better than when I've made multiple items in the past.

IMG_1290.jpg

Welded the handles and stubs to the ramps, and then lined up and welded final parts of the hinges for the ramps to the rear of the trailer.

Yesterday, I took a spare MT2 arbor that adapted a 3/8"-24 chuck, and 5/8" tool steel rod. I bored a short hole in the end of the rod and threaded it to match the 3/8"-24 arbor, and screwed them together with loctite. Then I turned a chunk of aluminum down to 2", bored out a 5/8" hold through it, faced it, and bored out two stepped holes against the face, a 1.5" and a 1". Instantaneous tailstock die holder without having to turn a taper.

IMG_7602.jpg

IMG_7601.jpg

Also, since the outside is 2", I can grab a 2" inside-diameter sleeve and add a third size, allowing me to use 1", 1.5", and 2" threading dies.

What material did you make it from?
I used oversized, ground, O-1.
Wanted the broach for cutting a square for torque wrench use, on a AR barrel nut wrench.
The oversize ran .016 right now after lots of stoning it still measures .512 X .514. was hoping to get to .508.
Still not heat treated.
Loosely followed instructions from clickspring video.

Finally (pretty much, just some small bits left) installed the ramps on the trailer.
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1292.jpg

I used 2 lift assist springs on each side, wish I could put more on, but when the ramp is down/fully extended, it just barely stays extended, but when raising the ramp (using the middle handle), the first part of lifting it is fine, but once the bottom half of the ramp gets to the point where it comes off the ground, you need to put a bunch of effort to get it off the ground. Tomorrow, I'll run some of my bigger equipment up and down the ramp and see how it is.

Back