2018 POTD Thread Archive

You probably know this but for those who don't: be very careful about using ramps if the trailer is not secured to a vehicle. Too much weight on the ramp will cause the trailer nose to lift and problems may ensue! This is an issue without ramps as well but for some reason people tend to do it with ramps.
RWM

Last edited:
Yesterday, I took a spare MT2 arbor that adapted a 3/8"-24 chuck, and 5/8" tool steel rod. I bored a short hole in the end of the rod and threaded it to match the 3/8"-24 arbor, and screwed them together with loctite. Then I turned a chunk of aluminum down to 2", bored out a 5/8" hold through it, faced it, and bored out two stepped holes against the face, a 1.5" and a 1". Instantaneous tailstock die holder without having to turn a taper.

IMG_7602.jpg

IMG_7601.jpg

Also, since the outside is 2", I can grab a 2" inside-diameter sleeve and add a third size, allowing me to use 1", 1.5", and 2" threading dies.

I made a MT arbor for my die holder. Of course there is a video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen couple of fellow members are making die holders for there lathes, and wanted to show the one i made long time ago and i've been using it almost every time i'm threading, its MT5 can hold all sizes of threading dies and is very deep so i can make long thread.
DSC_0013.JPGDSC_0014.JPG

I made a night lamp for the parents of a new baby boy.

GEDC3696.JPG

This is what it looks like when you turn the lamp on.

GEDC3692.JPG

Its called a lithophane and is made by varying the cutting depth of the photo according to the color.
Light areas are cut deeper. I used a 0.0625 ball nose end mill with a 10% step over on a piece of 3" PVC pipe.
When I want a really super result I use a Corian sheet but PVC works fine for this.

I hope they like it.
Ray

Finished off another pair of jacks today. I don't think I really need this many but they're fun to design. And I got to break out the Atlas indexing centers for the first time too. They're really made for the milling machine, but I pressed one into service on the shaper to cut in some small flutes. Just ran the ram by hand, but it worked great. Now if I could only take pictures that weren't blurry....

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

-frank

Today i started the day with changing a battery in my little kay car, i shopped around and non standard size batteries are really expensive, so i got two cheap jump starters, they have 18ah battery so i made couple of cables to connect them together and installed theme in the little car. I rarely drive this car but hate when i turn the key and hear that klik, klik klik. A nine volt battery would probably start the little 3 cylinder engine but this way i won't have to worry about leaving the radio or lights on.
IMG_20181008_172211.jpg

I turned a 1/2" square broach. Still need to deburr and heat treat.View attachment 276547
Thanks for all the thumbs up on this broach guys, but it does not work.
Each step is too much meat to remove, and the gullets are too small to carry the chip load.
Today I annealed the broach and when it gets back in the lathe I plan to triple the gullet size and split each step in two.
Might be a while before I get to it.

Each step is too much meat to remove, and the gullets are too small to carry the chip load.

Sorry to hear that it is not working out. Your improvements sound like the right approach.

Back