2018 POTD Thread Archive

Last couple of days i've been working on the little russian 4x4, there is crazy modification done by the previous owner, like the opening windscreen, and the cut boot floor and the propane bottle just laying on couple of straps not even connected, insane engineering. Also started on the wiring, lots of eaten wires by mice also it was missing part of the instrument panel wire harness also lots of corrosion in the old school connectors, so i changed the instrument panel connectors and made my own wire harness for it. After that i focused on the engine and got it started, it runs, needs spark plugs, also the timing chain rattling like crazy, but seems to have good compression, which i plan to check next, one thing at a time i'm fixing it.
IMG_20181015_153038.jpgIMG_20181015_191228.jpgIMG_20181016_141439.jpgIMG_20181016_142122.jpgIMG_20181016_144307.jpgIMG_20181016_145941.jpgIMG_20181016_180444.jpgIMG_20181016_165256.jpgIMG_20181016_172852.jpg

Why the propane tank? Has the engine been converted (or in the process of being converted) to run on propane???? From what you've just posted and your previous post, it almost sounds like "fixing" that car will end up being as much work as building a new one from raw steel :)

Just curious - I don't recall your mentioning the manufacturer's name - was it Lada?

Yep, that's the venerable Lada Niva. Smallest 4x4 SUV you can buy in Europe right now, they're really popular with the country bumpkins.

The propane conversion has its merits, but you really have to be sure of what you're doing- it's impossible to siphon propane from a buddy's tank into a coffee can to get you home. You never know when the next propane fill station will be. You need to remember to shut off the engine when you're upside down before you lose oil, because propane has no float bowls to flood. But it burns cool and clean, and octane is 20 points higher than gas (at the cost of mass efficiency, propane is 80% of gas).

You can use a 20lb propane tank as a "spare" fuel tank. When I had a Chev Impala that was converted to propane, my dad made me a short hose, with a propane filler connector on one end, and a regular small propane fitting on the other end, you connect them up, turn the propane tank upside down (so liquid propane transfers rather than propane in gas form), and you're good to get to the next station.

This is a new thread that I am starting. We want to know what you made in your shop today. No limits, just tell us what you did.
I am building a set of tool rests for my Bench grinder. The one I bought is a Chinese POS and the tool rest that came with it is junk. The grinder, with- out the wheels ruins quiet and true. NOW if I can get the wheels to run true I'll be in the money. Any hints on how to balance bench grinder wheels?

Yes it is a lada niva 1600 it has a very terrible LPG (propane) conversion done, which is a very common conversion done here, as Pontiac 428 said LPG is much cheaper than gasoline and burns lot cleaner, the LPG systems have lots of safeties in them, so if installed correctly, witch this one isn't, are safe, plus you can run as much compression as you like they won't knock, LPG has 118 octane rating also every gas station has LPG pumps so is not hard to find.

Any hints on how to balance bench grinder wheels

The next time I put new wheels on my grinder, I'll do one at a time, and (with a carbide tipped indicator) make sure the wheel is concentric with the shaft before I turn it on.

I am building a set of tool rests for my Bench grinder. The one I bought is a Chinese POS and the tool rest that came with it is junk. The grinder, with- out the wheels ruins quiet and true. NOW if I can get the wheels to run true I'll be in the money. Any hints on how to balance bench grinder wheels?

Usually I throw out the Chinese wheels. A quality wheel shouldn't be out of balance. Surface grinder wheels get balanced but that's a different animal. If you do want to balance it would be a static balance. Basically finding the heavy side and drilling dimples close to arbor area by the paper backers.
You should be able to get a dim and dresser and just run it back and forth across the OD. That should get you darn close.

I made some for my bench grinder that I picked up at an auction it’s several videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back