2018 POTD Thread Archive

Today i spent half a day in the back of the Lada, cutting out all the rust, first to go was the rest of the trunk floor, i ground out the spot welds and removed the rusty metal, also takald the right wheel arch rust, i cut off all the rust it had and then used a wire brush on all the edges and other loose rusty metals. I also stripped the back end, removed all the lights, wiring, trailer hitch, bumper. then i started making the new boot floor, i started with 1,5 mm cold roll steel, cut it to size, bend a edge like the original, then put it in place and marked it and punch it for spot welding, then i realized that i'll be better off if i repair and reinforce the rear bumper mounts and add stronger structure in the back so i can attach a new trailer hitch behind the bumper, so i stopped and i'll be visiting the steel shop for some square tubing for the structure.
IMG_20181018_164835.jpgIMG_20181018_164848.jpgIMG_20181018_194417.jpgIMG_20181018_194354.jpgIMG_20181019_143017.jpgIMG_20181019_143736.jpg

Got through making these pastry forms for my brother-in-law. He had made cream horns for us this past Thanksgiving and then he got to thinking it would be fun to try jumbo-sized ones to fill with a savoury instead. Well, jumbo-sized forms weren't available so guess who got asked to make them!

I used aluminum, I think about 22 gauge maybe (0.025"), and suffered my way through a baker's dozen. It was a lot more difficult than I thought, mostly due to the springiness of the metal and not being able to have a soldered seam. Copper would have been nicer, but I wasn't sure if that would be smart for baking on.

Anyway, I got them done so we'll see what culinary masterpiece comes out of them. Thanks for looking!

-frank

image.jpeg

I'm not sure, to tell you the truth! :D
The joint is not soldered or firm in any way, it's just spring tension that keeps it closed. That's why I found it so tricky. Too much curve and it's open on the inside, too little and it's open on the outside. I had about three anvil-like forms (the wooden cone shown, a piece of 3/8" bar, a metal chair leg....) and just went back and forth tapping a bit here and squeezing a bit there. They're not great, but they'll be closed enough to function I think. After 13 of them I still can't say I have the proper order of operations to make them repetitive.

-frank

Today i continued working in the big garage, i had almost everything prepared to install a new boot floor, but wanted to reinforce the rear bumper sockets, so today i cut some 50x50x8mm angle iron also few pieces sheet metal and put a lot of strength back in those mounts as a precaution i also made and welded in a inch square thick wall tubing to connect both bumper mounts and the new boot floor wich i also marked and drill additional holes, then i carefully placed the new floor and plug weld the front, bottom edges and new crossmember also where there is reinforcement flanges, for the two sides i welded them fully. Then i made some more patch panels and welded them to the spring tower, this little 4x4 had coil spring on all corners. Then i clean everything up with the grinder, blow out the dust and painted evryting with black high zinc primer, hard dirty work.
IMG_20181020_153505.jpgIMG_20181020_153527.jpgIMG_20181020_184034.jpgIMG_20181020_184112.jpgIMG_20181020_184100.jpgIMG_20181020_184044.jpg

I finished up a Tambour sliding lid box made of poplar for a Christmas present. The top opens when you pull the drawer out.
I never made a rolling lid before and was afraid the lid would bind in the slot so I made the lid little thinner than I originally planed. I glued black vinyl leather to the inside of the lid and finished it with paste wax only.
Well the drawer does not want to stay completely shut. The drawer opens slightly just from the lid wanting to roll open it is so smooth. Maybe it will tighten up after some time.

GEDC3698.JPG

GEDC3700.JPG

GEDC3701.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

I don't know about titanium but maybe aluminum.
:rolleyes:

I cleaned up my iron mess, the pics are before,IMG_0541.JPGIMG_0543.JPGIMG_0544 (1).JPGIMG_0546.JPG, during, and after. The last pic is some amputated race car chassis parts, i think they look kind of "artsy". I have to confess, it took more than a day, and my scrap trailer is about 500 lbs heavier.

Back