2018 POTD Thread Archive

VERY COOL !! creative too. well done. excellent. WOW!

Today, I helped a friend from high school Napa Ca. (class of '63) replace a rotten wooden spoke in one of the wheels from his high school car, a 1917 Chevrolet speedster (cut down). I helped him rework those wheels back in the early 60s when he built the car; it was a fun car when good weather prevailed! All it had was a gas tank, a bucket seat, footboards and a firewall and hood; the original hot rod! He is working on getting it back on the road and off to new adventures.

I was cutting sheet acrylic on my Grizzly bandsaw today. The plastic always fouls the table insert and while cleaning it out I broke the flimsy thing. Since I was already in the shop I just made a new one. This one should hold up much better and any plastic fouling should pop right off.
table insert.jpg

Made some more balancing washers / arbors for my grinding wheels. Finally got to use the dividing plates for the RT. First time using them and they worked great plus it was easier to use than I thought it would be.
1517017151730.png

1517017207526.png

One thing I discovered is that hand tapping 48 holes SUCKS. I ordered some gun taps for the next time and will try power feeding with the mill quill.
1517017375169.png

This one was really bad. Finally got it balanced though but the disc looks like swiss cheese.

1517017479085.png
1517017527009.png

Here's my super precision balancing system. Made it myself ......... can you tell?
1517017644935.png

Also made one of these.

1517017718878.png

Good solution, HBilly.

I tried lots of ideas to balance my bench grinder wire brushes. They were terribly out of balance and would shake the grinder off the table. I was afraid they'd ruin the bearings in the grinder motor.

I finally settled on a bar of 1/8" x 1" x (about 4") steel. I drilled the arbor hole closer to one end and balanced the brushes by incrementally grinding off the long end. I put index marks on the brush hubs to align the counter balance bar. It worked pretty well — I got them balanced out pretty close and they run smooth now.

wire wheel balance_1050.JPG

Last edited:
Back