2018 POTD Thread Archive

Have to agree about the camera making things look worse than they are.

I took these pics of some mystery steel that was finished with a face mill that came with my mill / drill. The face mill worked great the first time I used it but the cutters got dull very fast and after a few uses I couldn't get a nice finish. I tried to sharpen the cutters by hand but it got worse. I gave up on the face mill until recently. I made a Harold Hall simple grinding rest and that gave me the control I needed to sharpen each of the cutters the same. Here are some pics of the face mill with the sharpened cutters and the surface they produced. This looks like the cutting edges are extremely rough but they weren't anywhere near as bad as they look. This was a test run on a coarse wheel and after this first run I used a finer grinding wheel to get a better finish. The surface finish was also a lot better than it looks. It was very smooth to the touch. I did this a few days ago but didn't post pics because the surface doesn't look good in the pics.

1517723480306.png
These aren't the original bits. I replaced them with some 1/2" HSS ones.
1517723657351.png

1517723814439.png

Yesterday I serviced the flat bed trailer in preparation for a "redeye" 900 mile round trip. Service included cleaning inspecting,repacking the wheel bearings, and brakes inspection. I also swapped out the tires off the dump trailer since they're only a year old. Lastly I went over all the lights since the journey starts at 03:00 and will end around 21:00. The trailer will be carrying 3700 lbs each way although rated for 7 tons, I still need to do my part.
In the past I have damaged those thin hub dust covers on re-installation, so while charging the grease gun battery and soaking the bearings, I made a simple tool and got some machining in:). Back on shift today, so tomorrow I will be going over the tow vehicle to include two new fuel filters and general inspection as the oil was serviced 500 miles ago.

The Hyster bumper jack in action:p. Yup the tongue jack was down.
IMG_2708.JPG
IMG_2709.JPG
Found a piece of .250" wall aluminum pipe in the scrap bin, cut, faced and bored to a slip fit + .010".
IMG_2713.JPG
IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2716.JPG
All four bearings repacked, preloaded and pined. Hard to see, but the lug studs have a dab of anti-seize compound.
IMG_2710.JPG
The tool worked nice with no damage to the thin dust covers.
IMG_2719.JPG
IMG_2720.JPG
Have a great supper bowl Sunday.

Paco

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this goes here because it didn't all happen today, but some of it did.

I knew I'd need more light than the halogen lamp that came with the G4003G so I had my electrician pull in a switched 120V when he pulled the feed in for the lathe.

Finally got my light hung after I got my MIG to quit balling up my wire feed:

View attachment 155341

The wire feed for the halogen lamp kept getting in the way of clean up so I tidied that up a little:

View attachment 155342

Also didn't like to have to fidgit with a brush and a dustpan to get the swarf over the lip of the pan and my vacuum cleaner kept getting clogged up so I installed a scupper.

The fixin's:

View attachment 155343

Getting it installed:

View attachment 155344

And viola!:

View attachment 155345

My QCTP came clocked inconveniently from the factory. It made changing the toolholder a PIA so I moved the handle. Much more convenient now:

View attachment 155346

Finally got around to making this. Sure helps these tired ol' dawgs:

View attachment 155347

Mama just called and vittles are on, gotta run.

More to follow. Thanks for looking.

Dale

I was going through the old posts and seen your photo of your 4003 G. What was it Grizzly and these tool posts? Mine was the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillbilly, I think the camera picks up all sorts of reflected light patterns which look like flaws. The shinnier (is that a word?) the surface the more reflections you get in it. I've even tried a crude light box but I guess I'm just not a good enough photographer.

Anyway, one can tell that the finish on those parts is very good. When you can see the rhythm of the cutter arcs and the almost scraped looking "texture" it is indeed a nice surface.

Firestopper, you could make a fortune selling your hubcap tool. I know I usually manage to mangle (or dent) at least one out of four every time I pack trailer wheel hearings. Then when I smash one I get PO'ed and just whack the rest without a care. :blowup:

Have to agree about the camera making things look worse than they are.

I took these pics of some mystery steel that was finished with a face mill that came with my mill / drill. The face mill worked great the first time I used it but the cutters got dull very fast and after a few uses I couldn't get a nice finish. I tried to sharpen the cutters by hand but it got worse. I gave up on the face mill until recently. I made a Harold Hall simple grinding rest and that gave me the control I needed to sharpen each of the cutters the same. Here are some pics of the face mill with the sharpened cutters and the surface they produced. This looks like the cutting edges are extremely rough but they weren't anywhere near as bad as they look. This was a test run on a coarse wheel and after this first run I used a finer grinding wheel to get a better finish. The surface finish was also a lot better than it looks. It was very smooth to the touch. I did this a few days ago but didn't post pics because the surface doesn't look good in the pics.

These aren't the original bits. I replaced them with some 1/2" HSS ones
I have the same style facing tool. I use 1/2" carbide tipped lathe bits in mine and resharpen them as well. I have always had a problem with surface finish. I was watching a video of the Tormach Superfly fly cutter which gives a superior surface finish and realized that the geometry of leading edge was what made the difference. I grind a slight radial and tangential rake on the bits but the secret is to put a small chamfer (about .050"@ 45º) on the leading edge of each. The difference in surface finish was amazing. Perhaps even better would .050" radius but that is more difficult grinding by hand.

Firestopper, you could make a fortune selling your hubcap tool. I know I usually manage to mangle (or dent) at least one out of four every time I pack trailer wheel hearings. Then when I smash one I get PO'ed and just whack the rest without a care. :blowup:
I hear you Mike, I used to muck one up every time I worked on the trailers that I started stocking one or two on the shelf. In fact, I have a new spare that will probably last me a long time now. The other way I have jacked them up is kissing a hub with skid steer loader tire when dumping dirt into the dump trailer, But don't plan on any more large scale dirt project on the property. Make one!, thats why I shared:cool:.

Back