2018 POTD Thread Archive

Finished wiring up my first VFD and autotuning it for now.
Ran my new to me Sheldon lathe for the first time. Still getting acclimated to speeds and feeds for it. I made a proper chuck key. I was using square stock to tighten the chuck while I made this one. I re-purposed two ball ends for the handle, it's not pretty but gives it a nice weathered appearance. :grin big:

VFD.jpg
Chuck Key.jpg

Careful on the drive, DOT has changed the laws. With your weight capacity (GCWR) you could get busted if you dont have a DOT Medical Card and if you are doing it for profit or work you need digital log books and a DOT Number.

Wasn't aware of that, is that for AZ or CA? Im a hobbyist far as they know but I'll be careful.
Thanks brother.
Man, if they can't figure a way to tax you for helping yourself they will figure a way to fine you. :blowup:

Every time a guy turns around there a greedy hand out there, so it seems.

Paco

Careful on the drive, DOT has changed the laws. With your weight capacity (GCWR) you could get busted if you dont have a DOT Medical Card and if you are doing it for profit or work you need digital log books and a DOT Number.

It has been kind of interesting watching the evolution of the Commercial drivers program. I got my CDL in the early 1990s shortly after it went Federal rather than state by state. I've also gone down with many new drivers over the years to take their drive test so I've been able to see how the the testing standards have changed as well. The testing has gotten easier, but the regulations keep tightening. Mine is to drive a fire engine, so much does not apply, glad I don't have to deal with all the stuff the real commercial drivers have to.

Our engineers (drivers ) go through a strenuous certification process as well to. Like your department I'm sure, they check every light, measure brakes and conduct a detailed inspection at the start of each shift. Some of our rigs weigh more than 75K pounds, no CDL required.

Our engineers (drivers ) go through a strenuous certification process as well to. Like your department I'm sure, they check every light, measure brakes and conduct a detailed inspection at the start of each shift. Some of our rigs weigh more than 75K pounds, no CDL required.

I'm just referring to the DMV drive test. Yes the department has additional hoops to help ensure we aren't putting maniacs on the road. When I took my drive test back in 1992-93 it was tough, you were allowed very few mistakes, and there were many instant fails. Now it is basically 70% across the board.

California changed from a restricted firefighters class B to a special firefighters endorsement on a class C in 2011. The new system allows the agency to certify the drivers of fire apparatus, with only a written test from DMV.

The Forest Service requires a regular commercial license since we do a lot of work out of state and a commercial license is good in all 50 states, no questions asked. Not all states will recognize an out of state firefighters drivers license. It also helps because we can use the driver of a fire engine to drive a dump truck, large stake bed etc on or off of a fire which does come in handy at times. If it doesn't have red lights, California requires a commercial license even if it is an agency owned vehicle.
Calfire went through that several years ago. They do use the firefighters exemption. They didn't have red lights on their crew trucks and DMV came down on them for having improperly licensed drivers. They were faced with the choice of putting red lights on their crew trucks or making all of their fire captains and engineers upgrade to commercial licenses. They decided it was easier / cheaper to just put red lights on their crew trucks even though they rarely use them.

After cleaning up all the mess and chips from the bandsaw trunion project, I finally (only took four years to get around to it) milled down the last of the T-nuts from the clamping kit I got with my mill to fit the table T-slots (the nuts were 5/8, the T-slots are 14mm or .550).

Yesterday I worked on some tool holders. One I welded up to fix a good up in the dovetail and the others was hanging around waiting for me to dovetail. I’m using the large boring bar for odd jobs, the little trigon holder so I can use some inserts that was gifted to me. The left hand bar I repurposed to a turning tool when I need a left handed tool. I was given or picked out of disposable tooling from the day job before I retired. c9a0a328741a2fe90482bbf7ea1ed213.jpg78ba32bf61fac88f300a25b0bf2d3723.jpg22d7843a5190bffc4eb010b782c657fd.jpg655c2337874af374c4c341fa2e866010.jpgee92ec494f69d89e5b221b5af8ec3d93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a tool post holder for my indicator today. First real project on my Clausing 8520. I know it’s nuthin’ special compared to most of the things created here but I’m pretty proud of it . Learned a few things in the process too! Fun stuff, this machining!
62CB40DF-9E7D-4E73-81E4-DD0086622CE2.jpeg7ED2582E-1035-4D21-92E6-659C4F1943F9.jpegDC02AF31-8870-4AA9-9D0B-8E73F02A1362.jpeg9BC1DE10-D6C3-4B6E-BC17-0390DEF11A6F.jpeg

Back