2018 POTD Thread Archive

I've been using the plow I made (well, I made a mount to attach a Warn plow to a walk-behind Hydro lawn mower), and it's worked pretty good. The main problem I've been having with it now is the front caster wheels get stuck in semi-packed snow and ruts. They are 8" dia x 2" wide, and have a pretty square profile, I was looking around for wider wheels/tires to buy to put on, and then realized the front wheels on the Hydro's mower deck were about the size I wanted (about 8.5" dia, about 4" wide), so I spent today cutting off the caster wheel mounts, fabbing up new mounts for the mower spindles, and welding the mounts to the plow.

The old caster wheels:
IMG_1056.jpg

New mower wheels:
IMG_1057.jpg

Tomorrow I'll take it for a spin around the neighborhood and see how well they work.

a few different projects over the past few weeks.

Some T-nuts. Got a mostly complete clamping kit with my mill but it only had 1 T-nut. Being a tight ar$e I decided to make my own from a piece of scrap bin steel

action shot with a 1/4" rougher
View attachment 255976

blank finished
View attachment 255977

drilled and tapped
View attachment 255978

then cut in my bandsaw (which resulted in me making a work stop..), with a couple needing some FTF work (file to fit). Some of them ended up with the hole towards one end and I'm not entirely sure why, but they'll work fine
View attachment 255979

that should do me for T-nuts for a while!

One idea while making T nuts is to make a few with a small tapped hole to one side of the slot. Keep them around with a few threaded rods and nuts with washers. Because once in a while you will have a setup where the large screw in the middle is just a little in the way, pushes the hold down over enough not to lay flat.. The small screws near the side of the slot can come in handy to hold the job straight on occasion. And since you are making them anyway free to make.

Two projects today. Finished getting my bandsaw mounted to the caster frame.

2nd was a hanger to put empty clothes hangers on the wall under a hanging vacuum. It is made out of 2 pieces of aluminum that I had around the shop 119272cf009ef3c834ccfb68ccd1e7e8.jpgc33bf43e2a58458a7457173bc82cfe97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a tool post grinder. Two different spindles for ID and OD grinding. A few challenges but it is done. Have no time today to test it but I did run it and see no runout so I guess that is good although I don't know if that matters much as you have to dress the wheel anyway.
1518646918627.png
1518646979430.png

can you show us your T Nut with this setup? I am having a hard time envisioning it.
One idea while making T nuts is to make a few with a small tapped hole to one side of the slot. Keep them around with a few threaded rods and nuts with washers. Because once in a while you will have a setup where the large screw in the middle is just a little in the way, pushes the hold down over enough not to lay flat.. The small screws near the side of the slot can come in handy to hold the job straight on occasion. And since you are making them anyway free to make.

can you show us your T Nut with this setup? I am having a hard time envisioning it.

I don't have any of my own made up. Maybe to help envision it: Recently I was making a setup to hold a piece of work parallel to a block that would stay stationary and be bolted down with a T nut set so the other pieces could be set up with same placement. Turns out the long piece I wanted to T nut down was close but with the usual T nut bolt taking up almost the whole slot like they do it couldn't set flat. What helped is I got a T nut and bolt from a smaller T nut set I have for a smaller machine and that allowed the bolt to get closer to one side of the slot and let the bar go flat against the table, solved the problem. I could have broken the whole setup down and repositioned but I had time in the setup already.

So having a full size nut with a smaller bolt coming out at the side would come in handy and if making custom ones why not do a few with a smaller tapped hole near the edge of the slot and have a few smaller diameter threaded rods, nuts and washers at the ready.

I would put the idea in the category of "tricks done by an experienced machinist." Not standard but useful and come by experience.

Back